Hand Sanitizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for @Jersey Girl ,
You want 70% alcohol solution, end up with 32 fluid ounces, and starting with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol

(70/99.9) * 32 = 22.4 Fluid ounces of alcohol or 2 3/4 cups plus almost 1 tablespoon. Or 22 ounces (2 3/4 cups) will get you close to 70 %.
Then add 10 fluid ounces (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) of glycerine.

Boy, now I understand why the metric system is so much easier. This is maddening.

@DeeAnna , can you take a look at this, please?

for @Jersey Girl ,
You want 70% alcohol solution, end up with 32 fluid ounces, and starting with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol

(70/99.9) * 32 = 22.4 Fluid ounces of alcohol or 2 3/4 cups plus almost 1 tablespoon. Or 22 ounces (2 3/4 cups) will get you close to 70 %.

Boy, now I understand why the metric system is so much easier. This is maddening.

Not DeeAnna, but I just came up with pretty much the same for Jersey girl in post #63 above^^^

IrishLass :)

Not DeeAnna, but I just came up with pretty much the same for Jersey girl in post #63 above^^^

IrishLass :)

Thank you so much. I’m a mess right now. I struggle with anxiety and panic attacks and I’m really having a hard time. Just can’t focus. Thank you for your help.

for @Jersey Girl ,

Thank you so very much. ♥️

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind they are probably paying extra for rush orders for their suppliers, paying extra for overnight shipping, paying overtime for their workers. People are quick to point the finger and yell "Pricing gouging!"
I did not say they were price gouging, just mentioned they raised their price. They make the product in-house.

I made another small batch with the ingredients I have on hand (see post #24) and it’s thicker than my original batch. It appears to be getting thicker over time. Right now, it’s thick enough to hold bubbles in suspension, but not as thick as commercial hand sanitizer. For this batch, I homogenized the alcohol and gel by vigorous shaking instead of using my mini stick blender as I did for the first batch.

My effort to make the math as simple as possible has clearly fallen short. I need to back away from this thread to regain my peace of mind. If you need help with the math, please ask someone else if you haven't already gotten the answers you need.

Here's TMI to explain --

There were 3 cases of corona virus officially diagnosed yesterday in my small rural Iowa town of 2000 people. The cases are members of a tight-knit, very conservative religious community of several hundred people who mostly live in town.

A large number of people in this religious community go to one large church, so many of these people have probably been exposed to the covid virus for some days now. It's highly likely the number of cases of covid illness will explode in town.

We've all been kind of waiting for this to happen, but it's one thing to see a possibility and it's another thing to learn the possibility has become a reality.

My husband has an office in town, and he sees a lot of people every day, including folks from this religious community, especially now that tax time is here. In the past few work days, he has started to limit his physical contact with people, but I'm worried it's maybe too little too late, especially for a man prone to getting a bad case of respiratory illness during most tax seasons, even in the best of years.

People are contagious with covid before they show any symptoms, so my husband and the others in his office (and the local health clinic, school, businesses, etc., etc.) could have easily been exposed to the virus during the past week or two.

I'm working hard at not borrowing trouble before it happens, but I have to say this has gotten real personal for me real fast. I am not asking for anyone's advice or prayers -- I'm asking instead for people to use a tiny extra dose of kindness and tact when asking questions and making comments.

Everyone is dealing with their own fears, their own personal issues, and their own individual realities right now. I am certainly not at my best at the moment, so I'm trying hard to keep my comments here as factual and inoffensive as possible. If I don't give a direct reply to a direct question, I apologize in advance -- silence may be the best answer I may be able to give at the moment.

My effort to make the math as simple as possible has clearly fallen short. I need to back away from this thread to regain my peace of mind. If you need help with the math, please ask someone else if you haven't already gotten the answers you need.

Here's TMI to explain --

There were 3 cases of corona virus officially diagnosed yesterday in my small rural Iowa town of 2000 people. The cases are members of a tight-knit, very conservative religious community of several hundred people who mostly live in town.

A large number of people in this religious community go to one large church, so many of these people have probably been exposed to the covid virus for some days now. It's highly likely the number of cases of covid illness will explode in town.

We've all been kind of waiting for this to happen, but it's one thing to see a possibility and it's another thing to learn the possibility has become a reality.

My husband has an office in town, and he sees a lot of people every day, including folks from this religious community, especially now that tax time is here. In the past few work days, he has started to limit his physical contact with people, but I'm worried it's maybe too little too late, especially for a man prone to getting a bad case of respiratory illness during most tax seasons, even in the best of years.

People are contagious with covid before they show any symptoms, so my husband and the others in his office (and the local health clinic, school, businesses, etc., etc.) could have easily been exposed to the virus during the past week or two.

I'm working hard at not borrowing trouble before it happens, but I have to say this has gotten real personal for me real fast. I am not asking for anyone's advice or prayers -- I'm asking instead for people to use a tiny extra dose of kindness and tact when asking questions and making comments.

Everyone is dealing with their own fears, their own personal issues, and their own individual realities right now. I am certainly not at my best at the moment, so I'm trying hard to keep my comments here as factual and inoffensive as possible. If I don't give a direct reply to a direct question, I apologize in advance -- silence may be the best answer I may be able to give at the moment.

Hang in there Deanna. We're entering a new phase that almost no one in our lifetime has ever had to deal with. Everything is changing and we are entering a new phase of evolution in the way our world will now work going forward. Change is hard and fear can get the best of you. Just keep calm. We're all in this together and we'll make it through. As my grandmother used to say "don't borrow trouble". Take it day by day and try not to worry too much about tomorrow until it gets here. Also, hug a dog. If you don't have one go find one. They are good at helping. :)

Here's TMI to explain --

These are very scary times DeeAnna and you are certainly excused. I worry about my daughter in their tiny mining town of 7000 when many miners come and go. Both of my daughters are high risk for this miserable virus. I have nothing but good wishes for you and your hubby.

These are very difficult times for everyone. We need to take a deep breath and try to take it as it comes. I've been notified that 6 people from the conference I attended have tested positive for the virus as well as 4 of my residents are currently having symptoms and have been tested and awaiting results. They are self quarantined for now. We currently have a drive through respiratory check station at the hospital and are seeing 200-250 people per day. Sadly, many think they are going to be tested when it's not physically possible as there just isn't enough tests available for everyone. So, needless to say people are getting angry and are convinced they have it when likely many don't.

So, we can all do our best to support each other here. Kind words are a good first step.

Pinterest today.... lots of diy Lysol-type disinfectant wipes. Seems to be a similar mix of those who actually understand the science of sanitizing and those who like the smell of essential oils. The best ones seem to take their hand sanitizer mix and add it to a container with reusable/paper towels for quick cleaning.

I might make this recipe on my weekend, basically rubbing alcohol and dish soap for actual cleaning power with the sanitizing

I have Clorox wipes, but I am using just all the regular cleaning stuff inside my house, because if one of us has the virus, both of us do already. I am packing a small Ziploc bag of Clorox wipes around with me when I leave the house, though. For door handles, grocery carts, etc.

I think they deferred the tax deadline by 90 days. I read something yesterday. Yep, here: https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/...-tax-deadline-to-july-15-coronavirus-response

They cancelled my daughter's graduation from college. She is still stuck in Mississippi waiting to hear if they are giving them credit for their student teaching that has already been done or not. They are waiting for the powers that be to make a decision if they are going to re-open schools or not. So, I may be making a flying trip to Mississippi to move her here shortly. I am worried about whether there will be a hotel open there when we get there.

Not 100% sure on this but I think I read something about some of the go-to antibacterial stuff being toxic to dogs.

Anyone shed any light on that to perhaps aid some of our soapy peeps?

Pinterest today.... lots of diy Lysol-type disinfectant wipes. Seems to be a similar mix of those who actually understand the science of sanitizing ...
I'm sure you know this, but if you don't mind working with bleach, you can make a general sanitizer with bleach and water.

Do NOT use as hand sanitizer, it is too harsh. But it is great for counters, etc. if one doesn't mind working with bleach. I keep this on hand in a spray bottle to clean my chicken containers, counters, sink, etc.

By volume:
1 part bleach
9 parts water
Liquid dishwashing detergent (optional)

I mix:
2 1/4 cups of water
1/4 cup of bleach
1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid
Then put in a spray bottle.

For optimum effectiveness, leave on surface for 10 minutes.

The problem I’m having with bleach is that all my work virus updates say that bleach needs to be refreshed/remade every day as it breaks down. I’m looking for a product that I can make up for my husband and know it will still be “active” when he needs it.

currently my husband has set up a “clean room” in the basement. He walks in after work (Walmart), puts his clothes in the washer, wipes off phone/keys/everything else, grabs a towel (because we have a roommate and walking around), then immediately goes to shower before starting the washer with all clothes from the day. My water bill is going to be ridiculous but I get clean clothes daily and all the little nagging “I need to wash that” piles are getting done.

Just a bit of a look from the "inside" - I work for a company that makes labels. We just got a super rush order for labels for hand sanitizer. But they cut the order from 1 million labels to 500,000 labels - because they are having a hard time locating bottles.

We had to go to a secondary source to get the material, because our primary source has literally overnight had doubled demand.

I have an order of hand sanitizer for my office coming in next week, but we're only getting 1 pump to go with our 4 jugs. Not a problem, we're re-using containers, but just something I hadn't thought of.

Maybe some of our suppliers can make some cash selling their stock of bottles to hand sanitizer and hand soap companies?

Latest posts

Back