Hand Sanitizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so excited I can FINALLY contribute some vetted/science info to this community.
-CoronaVirus is an enveloped virus, meaning it has a gooey-slimey outer coating...an "envelope".
-60-70% total alcohol content is recomended to disinfect. This concentration allows water to permeate the "envelope" and deliver the alcohol inside to kill the cells.
-higher alcohol content (ie as low as 90%) actually hardens the gooey "envelope"...creating a "shell" that makes the virus harder to kill.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195670120300463

I'm am so greatful to the soapmakingforum. I have a few other medical papers that were published following the Wuhan response that I will link asap.

Great info @KatiesDiddies! Thanks for sharing! :)

My Post #8 (which has now been deleted -- SeaSuds post is now the new Post #8) is not strictly correct. Here is a corrected version --

The key to an effective hand sanitizer is keeping the % alcohol in the mixture at no less than 60% by volume AND using the sanitizer correctly. Learn more -- https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

40% ABV ... 80 proof (typical vodka) ... Not effective as hand sanitizer

50% ABV ... 100 proof ... Not effective as hand sanitizer

60% ABV ... 120 proof ... Use full strength

75.5% ABV ... 151 proof (one type of Everclear, grain alcohol) ... Can be diluted 79:21 to get 60% ABV (In other words, 79 mL alcohol to 21 mL non-alcohol ingredients to make a mixture at 60% ABV)

91% ABV ... 182 proof (some isopropyl alcohol) ... Dilute 66:34 to get 60% ABV (66 mL alcohol and 34 mL non-alcohol ingredients)

94.5-95.5% ABV ... 189-191 proof (other types of Everclear)... Dilute 63:37 to get 60% ABV (63 mL alcohol and 37 mL non-alcohol ingredients)​

If you have an alcohol that has an ABV (alcohol by volume) percentage other than what I've listed above, here's how to figure the correct dilution ratio to get a 60% alcohol content in the finished sanitizer mixture --

If you're using drinkable alcohol --

% ABV = Proof / 2​
The amount of alcohol you should use to get a 60% ABV content in the sanitizer --

Alcohol content = 60 / (% ABV) X 100​
How much non-alcoholic "other stuff" can be used to keep the sanitizer at 60% ABV --

Non-alcohol content = 100 - Alcohol content​

Example: Make 100 milliliters (mL) of sanitizer using 160 proof alcohol.

ABV = 160 / 2 = 80%
Alcohol content = 60 / 80 X 100 = 75
Non-alcohol content = 100 - 75 = 25

In other words, use 75 milliliters of 80% ABV alcohol and 25 milliliters of non-alcohol stuff to get a finished sanitizer with 60% ABV.​

If you want to use fluid ounces (fl oz) instead, substitute "fl oz" wherever you see "milliliters."

Read the labels on Everclear -- it comes in several proofs. The stuff sold in Iowa is 151 proof (75.5% alcohol by volume, ABV). If I drive to Wisconsin, I can buy 189-191 proof (94.5-95.5% ABV). As you can see, the amount of dilution will depend on the ABV in the alcohol you start with.

In the thread that Mobjack referenced, there's a link to a Mountain Rose blog post that calls for using 80 proof (40% ABV) vodka. The authors obviously didn't do any homework to know the alcohol content that works and what is ineffective.

What's worse, in the comments in this blog post, readers propose to use witch hazel (around 15% ABV). Or they want to get away from any alcohol at all. Doh.....

I have written an article with this sanitizer info. It's on my Soapy Stuff site. I will update and expand that article as needed. See https://classicbells.com/soap/sanitizer.asp

Regarding the WHO sanitizer formulation --

If you have water that is safe to drink and you are using freshly washed and sanitary equipment to make and store the sanitizer, the hydrogen peroxide isn't necessary.

The peroxide is there to sanitize the materials and equipment, and it degrades pretty fast when it does that into oxygen gas and water. Peroxide does not function in the long term as an integral ingredient in the sanitizer.

You certainly won't hurt anything if you use the peroxide, but if you can provide sanitary conditions (like you would use for making lotion, for example) for making and storing the sanitizer, you don't strictly need the peroxide.

The WHO procedure explains the point of using peroxide, so check it out -- https://www.who.int/gpsc/information_centre/handrub-formulations/en/

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made an experimental 4-fluid oz batch of 71% ABV sanitizer using my 190-proof Everclear (95% ABV) and glycerin (which made the sanitizer feel pleasantly moisturizing, for what it's worth).

I decided to go with 71% ABV based on the carrier test results supplied in some of the links in this thread...... after first doing some reading on what the difference was between carrier tests and and suspension tests (also supplied in the links), since I had absolutely no idea what the difference was between the two, and it seemed it might be an important factor. From what I understand of what I read (hopefully someone "in the know" will correct me if I misunderstood), the kill/deactivating time/contact results based on the carrier tests are what I believe are needed to go by when making sanitizer to use on hands and surfaces instead of the suspension test results.

Anyway, this is the math I used. Hopefully I did it correctly:

I needed 4 fl. oz sanitizer containing 71% total alcohol for my batch. To find out how much total alcohol needed to be present in my 4 fl. oz batch, I used this equation (based on how Atiz approaches the math): 4 x 71% (or .71) = 2.84 fl oz of total alcohol needed for my batch.

The alcohol of choice that I used to achieve this is 190-proof Everclear @ 95% ABV, so I did this next equation to make the correct conversion in regards to how much of my 95% ABV Everclear I needed to pour out: (2.84 x 100) divided by 95. This equals out to 2.98 fl. ounces of needed Everclear to pour out (which I rounded up to 3 fl. ounces).

My desired 4 fl. oz amount of total hand sanitizer minus 3 fl oz of Everclear =1 fluid ounce of some other water-based ingredient needed to complete my batch of hand sanitizer. I chose glycerin because that's an ingredient I have on hand in spades.

I sanitized all my measuring tools/implements and bottles in StarSan and poured the finished hand sanitizer out into two 2-oz bottles, which are small enough to fit inside my purse, and I also put 2 drops of a Thieve's EO blend I had on hand into each bottle, purely for scent purposes only. Then I gave it a test run on my hands. It's not thick or gel-like, but I was very happy at how moisturized my hands felt after it was all rubbed in. They smelled nice, too. I really love how the Everclear does not leave an annoying alcohol smell behind like the store-bought sanitizers. .

IrishLass :)

I came across this video from the Institute of Personal Care Science that gives some information on creating hand sanitizers. :)

I came across this video from the Institute of Personal Care Science that gives some information on creating hand sanitizers. :)

Thanks for sharing! Very good (correct/safe) info in light of all the crazy misinformed Youtubers posting very bad/inadequate DIY sanitizer recipe videos past few days. It's so crazy out there that that Tito's Vodka had to make a public service announcement warning people against making hand sanitizer with their vodka because it's only got 40% ABV in it.

But yikes! If you're using the gelling agent she does in the video, you have to spend 2 hours of mixing it with a special high shear stick blender. :eek: I think I'll just stick with my more runny sanitizer made with glycerin that takes just a few seconds to mix with the Everclear. lol

Thanks for all the great information everyone. I have been using isopropyl alcohol 99% and aloe vera gel, but I am interested in using glycerol per WHO recipes. Any recommended places to purchase glycerol? I am in the Pacific northwest.

You can buy glycerin (commercial name of glycerol) at most drug stores. Look in the cosmetic section on the bottom shelf. I am not fond of the stickiness it gave the hand sanitizer I made with it. It just sort of left a residue. YMMV.

If you cannot find Alcohol (there has not been in Madrid since a week or more) you can use Eau de Toilette, that is 78% alcohol mainly, and add a bit of glycerine for hydration.
Or use just the parfum. You are going to smell well ;).
But the better is the soap and water, of course.
I did one with alcohol 96% (etanol), glycerine 10% and H2O2 that kills spores in the amount to get 70% . Added some drops of Rosemary and Lavender EO and smells great. Not sticky, not drying but very runny. I simply use more.

I just ordered 99.9% isopropyl alcohol and glycerine. Could someone help me with the percentages. My head is spinning and I’m kind of confused trying to figure it out. I’d really appreciate it! I want to make 32 oz of sanitizer.

Last edited:
I'm with Jersey Girl. I have the ingredients - isopropyl Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide and Glycerol and Water, but I only want to make a gallon. Can somebody lay it out in weights to make 1 gallon?

Did my own math, if anybody sees an error please let me know:
This is for Formulation 2 on pg 3.
1 gallon (a bit more, actually)
127 oz (volume) Isopropyl alcohol 99.8%
7 oz (vol) hydrogen peroxide
2.5 oz (vol) glycerol/glycerin
32.5 oz water

ETA: Here's where I am stumped - top up to the 10-litre mark with sterile distilled or cold boiled water. How much water?

Seriously, these are awful directions.

So, more of my own math:
10 litres = 10,000 mL
Subtract 7515 (alcohol), 417 (hydrogen peroxide) and 145 (glycerol), which leaves 1923 mL water. That is 65 oz water. Half of that (for 1 gal) is 32.5 oz.

Gah. I hope DeeAnna will double check me?

All recipes online that are reputable are doing measurements in VOLUME units. If you see "ounces" it is FLUID ounces, not weight ounces.

I have written an article with how-to-make-sanitizer info, including how to translate volume amounts into weight amounts and how to use alcohol with different percentages of alcohol-by-volume (ABV). This stuff is on my Soapy Stuff site. I will update and expand that article as needed. See https://classicbells.com/soap/sanitizer.asp

All recipes online that are reputable are doing measurements in VOLUME units. If you see "ounces" it is FLUID ounces, not weight ounces.

I have written an article with how-to-make-sanitizer info, including how to translate volume amounts into weight amounts and how to use alcohol with different percentages of alcohol-by-volume (ABV). This stuff is on my Soapy Stuff site. I will update and expand that article as needed. See https://classicbells.com/soap/sanitizer.asp

I read it several times but I just can’t seem to focus right now in order for it to sink in. Anxiety and stress is winning in my head. :hairpulling:

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-make-hand-sanitizer

This one looks simple enough but I want to make a 70% solution, not 60%.

I just ordered 99.9% isopropyl alcohol and glycerine. Could someone help me with the percentages. My head is spinning and I’m kind of confused trying to figure it out. I’d really appreciate it! I want to make 32 oz of sanitizer.

dixiedragon said:
I'm with Jersey - sorry DeeAnna, but I could not figure out how to use your info to make a recipe.

Nor could I. I did just receive a gallon from essentials by Catalina but would still like to be able to make some.

When I made mine, I used Atiz's way of making the calculations, which is a reverse/backdoor way of doing DeeAnna's calculations, but it was more understandable/ easier for me to do. Atiz's reverse way is in post #17 of this thread, but I will go ahead and walk through Atiz's way of doing calculations step by step for JerseyGirl, so others who are having trouble can see how it's done in order to be able to do it for themselves:

Atiz wrote this in post #17 in response to Susie asking for help doing the calculations to make 500 mLs of 70% sanitizer using her 91% alcohol:
This seems good to me.
(Although I tend to do the calculation backwards, but it makes no difference, just easier for me: you need 500ml of 70% alcohol, that means you want 500 x 0.7 = 350 ml total alcohol in your batch. To have 350 ml alcohol, you need (350 x 100)/91 of the 91% alcohol you have, which is about 384.6 ml.)

Okay, JerseyGirl, you said you wanted to make 32 volume oz of sanitizer with a 70% alcohol content.... so you first do this multiplication equation: 32 volume ounces x 70% (or .7), which = 22.4 volume ounces total actual alcohol needed for your batch......

In order to end up with 22.4 volume ounces of actual alcohol in your 32 ounces of 70% sanitizer using your 99.9% alcohol, you then need to do this equation to find out how much of your 99.9% alcohol to measure/pour out into your measuring cup:

(22.4 oz x 100) divided by 99.9 ........ So, 22.4 x 100= 2240.........and 2240 divided by 99.9= 22.42. So, you need to measure/pour out 22.42 volume ounces of your 99.9% alcohol for your batch (which you can round up to 23 volume ounces in order to make it easier to measure out.....that little bit extra alcohol isn't going to hurt). So......23 ounces of your sanitizer will consist of your 99.9% alcohol, and the remaining 9 volume oz will be glycerin in order to end up with a total of 32 ounces of 70% sanitizer.

Hope that helps!

EBC finally posted the Alcohol content for their hand wash as 62%. But have already raised the price by $5
Keep in mind they are probably paying extra for rush orders for their suppliers, paying extra for overnight shipping, paying overtime for their workers. People are quick to point the finger and yell "Pricing gouging!"

Latest posts

Back