Hand Sanitizer

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Susie and others - can you share your thoughts on how DIY hand sanitizer works, per this thread or others I may not have located:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/does-anyone-make-hand-sanitizer.60564/

There is no hand sanitizer to be found in my area. I looked at the ingredient list on the container of hand sanitizer I have in my car and it’s 70% ethanol with some glycerin and a few other things. In the thread I linked above, the first recipe uses aloe vera gel and 91% isopropanol, which sounds very easy.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
On the physician on the news a short while ago said to mix 30% Aloe Vera Gel and 70% Alcohol 91% They said you could also use everclear or 151 liquor.

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the physician on the news a short while ago said to mix 30% Aloe Vera Gel and 70% Alcohol 91% They said you could also use everclear or 151 liquor.
I guess I’m going back to the store again tomorrow. I used up all the aloe vera gel I had in the house making soap!

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, they are not the same company, although it is possible EBC is the supplier.
I always wondered. I've used products from both, and like them. I think EBC may supply some of the products for EBB. There are a few that are the same.

atiz

Reaction score
Thank you @DeeAnna, this is super helpful.

I'm out of aloe juice at the moment. Do you think a 1% hyaluronic acid solution would work as a second ingredient? I usually quite like its consistency and how it behaves, and I somehow happen to have a ton of it, but not sure it is friendly with alcohol.

[Edit: took 3 tries to spell HA correctly.... oh well.]

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I don't know, @atiz. I've never worked with ... uh, yeah, however ya spell it. That stuff. ;)

A quick google check suggests HA is highly soluble in alcohol, so it looks like it would mix up okay. I'd probably try a small test batch just to see.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you DeeAnna and others! The only thing I have to add is that most hospital based hand sanitizers are more typically 70-80% alcohol/volume. I feel much more comfortable with that percentage than the lower 60% advocated by all the sites. It may not be absolutely necessary, but in this instance, I would feel much more comfortable with a higher percentage. But thank you all for the links for the base for the sanitizers! You can use glycerin in a pinch if need be, but it is runnier.

Thank you for the link, Carolyn, I ordered a gallon. Hopefully before they sold out. $60 with shipping, but I can make and send some to my kids and family. Goes without saying that they are worth it.

Last edited:

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I too ordered a gallon. Better safe than sorry. Especially since it seems to be in the beginning stages here. I'll share with friends and relatives.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I agree there's nothing wrong with going higher with the alcohol content. I think that has been shown to kill a higher % of microbes than the 60% alcohol mixtures from what I recall from the CDC info (speaking from memory here). A higher alcohol content also builds in a safety margin to allow for some evaporation.

Safety tip -- Remember hand sanitizer is flammable! Use care in the kitchen or around sources of spark or flame.

Chefs flambe foods using 40% ABV alcohol. As we've been discussing, sanitizer is 60% or higher.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone, please help on math as my brain is mush after the heart surgery.

I have 91% ABV. I want 70% ABV in the hand gel. I am planning on making 16 oz to start.

Alcohol: 70/91 x 100=76.9
Non-alcohol: 100-77=23

So, if I am making 500 ml, I need:

77 x 5=385 gm 91% ABV
23 x 5=115 gm aloe vera gel (which I found 7 unopened bottles of on the dusty soap cart)

If this isn't correct, I blame only myself, as my brain isn't functioning at 100% anymore, and I sucked in math before that.

ETA: If you want to do this using commercial aloe vera gel (purchased at a major retailer), the thickener will become gum on your equipment. So, I ended up with a cloudy liquid. Good for spray bottle, but not a gel by any stretch of the imagination. (Don't be like Susie)

Last edited:

atiz

Reaction score

I have 91% ABV. I want 70% ABV in the hand gel. I am planning on making 16 oz to start.

77 x 5=385 gm 91% ABV
23 x 5=115 gm aloe vera gel (which I found 7 unopened bottles of on the dusty soap cart)

If this isn't correct, I blame only myself, as my brain isn't functioning at 100% anymore, and I sucked in math before that.

ETA: If you want to do this using commercial aloe vera gel (purchased at a major retailer), the thickener will become gum on your equipment. So, I ended up with a cloudy liquid. Good for spray bottle, but not a gel by any stretch of the imagination.
This seems good to me.
(Although I tend to do the calculation backwards, but it makes no difference, just easier for me: you need 500ml of 70% alcohol, that means you want 500 x 0.7 = 350 ml total alcohol in your batch. To have 350 ml alcohol, you need (350 x 100)/91 of the 91% alcohol you have, which is about 384.6 ml.)

Also, I hope you get better soon! Saw your post in the other thread, sorry to hear about everything.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I did just round numbers up to the nearest whole number as it was too close not to. Many thanks to DeeAnna, who gives marvelous instructions that even I can follow.

cj

Reaction score

77 x 5=385 gm 91% ABV

ETA: If you want to do this using commercial aloe vera gel (purchased at a major retailer), the thickener will become gum on your equipment. So, I ended up with a cloudy liquid. Good for spray bottle, but not a gel by any stretch of the imagination. (Don't be like Susie)

YES! HELP! This happened with my formula. Using 100% organic aloe, which is not a gel, but liquid with 91% isopropyl alcohol. When I mixed it, the aloe congealed, in an pulpy way and "hung" floating inside the alcohol in globby chunks. - any intel on how I can get it to gel and not clump up?

Obsidian

Reaction score
Anyone have luck actually making sanitizer? I just tried a batch 1 cup 91% rubbing alcohol to 1/2 cup aloe gel. It wouldn't mix, had to put it in a big bottle and shake the heck out if it.
The final product was water thin and so strong alchohol smelling, I don't think any amount of EO would cover it.
I ended up dumping it all. Might as well put straight alchohol in a spray bottle.

Latest posts