Hand sanitizer soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ade

Reaction score
Not been on the forum along time.
A very curious cat as holted my soap production.
There seems to be a global shortage hand sanitizer.
I wonder if it would be possible to make a soap that is better than hand sanitizer.
I sore an article on the internet,saying compounds in coconut oil could kill Corona virus.
I don't want to give people false hope,but maybe with the great minds on here we could do our bit.
Be safe.
Adrian

I made hand sanitizer with 91% isopropyl alcohol, aloe gel and glycerin. I used 75% alcohol, 24% aloe gel and 1% glycerin.

Coconut oil will work if it is made into soap first and you wash for 20 seconds. The soap breaks down the fatty outer shell of corona and kills it that way.

I think the study you were referring to had to do with antiviral properties if ingesting the coconut oil.

Soap IS as good or better than hand sanitizer; that's already a proven fact. "Do your bit" by making soap and sharing it with others and teaching people how to wash their hands properly.

The reason for hand sanitizer is that using soap and water isn't always an option.

Don't confuse coconut oil with SOAP made from coconut oil. They're two different things.

As far as this supposed coconut oil treatment, I'm not finding one single reputable science-based source that says the use of coconut oil may be a legitimate, promising treatment for treating covid-19.

If you have science-based sources to support your "I read it on the internet" claim about this supposed coconut oil cure, then provide that information. Until you do, I'm not going to waste a single second more of my time and patience on this.

I made hand sanitizer with 91% isopropyl alcohol, aloe gel and glycerin. I used 75% alcohol, 24% aloe gel and 1% glycerin.

Coconut oil will work if it is made into soap first and you wash for 20 seconds. The soap breaks down the fatty outer shell of corona and kills it that way.

I think the study you were referring to had to do with antiviral properties if ingesting the coconut oil.
Thanks for the recipe.
Just wondering what would be most effective ingredients.
Once made made 100% coconut oil, great cleaning property, not too great on skin.
I remember carbolic soap as child,and it would kill anything.

Thanks for the recipe.
Just wondering what would be most effective ingredients.
Once made made 100% coconut oil, great cleaning property, not too great on skin.
I remember carbolic soap as child,and it would kill anything.
As DeeAnna said soap is more effective than hand sanitiser for corona virus. Wash your hands with soap frequently if you are unable to access water use hand sanitiser but if you have dirt on your hands the hand sanitiser may be ineffective.

Soap IS as good or better than hand sanitizer; that's already a proven fact. "Do your bit" by making soap and sharing it with others and teaching people how to wash their hands properly.

The reason for hand sanitizer is that using soap and water isn't always an option.

Don't confuse coconut oil with SOAP made from coconut oil. They're two different things.

As far as this supposed coconut oil treatment, I'm not finding one single reputable science-based source that says the use of coconut oil may be a legitimate, promising treatment for treating covid-19.

If you have science-based sources to support your "I read it on the internet" claim about this supposed coconut oil cure, then provide that information. Until you do, I'm not going to waste a single second more of my time and patience on this.
Hope I have not offered with my post.
We seem to forget early soap was made by animal fats and ash.
Surely with all oil and fats available to the average soaper,we make soap more fit for purpose.
What about 25% coconut 70% olive oil 5% Stearic Acid superfat 7%
Please give your thoughts.

As DeeAnna said soap is more effective than hand sanitiser for corona virus. Wash your hands with soap frequently if you are unable to access water use hand sanitiser but if you have dirt on your hands the hand sanitiser may be ineffective.
Great advice.
Just want to make a Corona virus beating bar of soap.
By all accounts it doesn't like lauric Acid that's in coconut oil.
Surly by the action of washing your absorbing lauric acid.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ade id like to see scientific proof that coconut oil will eliminate corona virus. Any soap if washed with for 20 seconds will break down the virus. Why are you adding stearic acid to the soap. I use lard base soap with coconut and other oils. Perfectly perfect fro cleaning the skin. But regardless what kind of soap you make it will need a 4-6 week cure.

By all accounts it doesn't like lauric Acid that's in coconut oil.
Surly by the action of washing your absorbing lauric acid.

No, our skin is designed to keep stuff out of our bodies and soap is on the skin for such a short amount of time anyways nothing is being absorbed.

You absolutely can make a 100% coconut oil soap, just use 20% superfat to counter the cleansing power.

I wouldn't do the 80 olive, it would require a long cure and won't lather well.

@ade id like to see scientific proof that coconut oil will eliminate corona virus. Any soap if washed with for 20 seconds will break down the virus. Why are you adding stearic acid to the soap. I use lard base soap with coconut and other oils. Perfectly perfect fro cleaning the skin. But regardless what kind of soap you make it will need a 4-6 week cure.
Thank you for the position reply. I have a the ingredients on hand. Would s good dehydrator speed up cure time.

No, our skin is designed to keep stuff out of our bodies and soap is on the skin for such a short amount of time anyways nothing is being absorbed.

You absolutely can make a 100% coconut oil soap, just use 20% superfat to counter the cleansing power.

I wouldn't do the 80 olive, it would require a long cure and won't lather well.
Thank you so much.
Can you cure soap in a food dehydrator.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, a dehydrator will only help dry the soap. Curing involves a chemical process that takes time to complete, it makes the soap milder and just generally nicer.

No nothing will speed up cure but time. There’s more to curing then water evaporation. The soap changes structure, becomes more mold and longer lasting.

Great advice.
Just want to make a Corona virus beating bar of soap.

Truly, any soap will do fine. :) In other words, it doesn't have to be a special soap made with a specific oil/fat. All you need is lye water and any type of saponifiable oil/fat. The combination of soap along with water and friction is what gets the job done, whether it's made from 100% coconut oil or 100% olive oil.

IrishLass :)

A dehydrator will actually melt soap if left in one to long or at the least start to soften it. As mentioned, it will not shorten cure time. Only time cures soap, but soap is safe to use when it no long zaps. I have had soaps zap up to 72 hrs that were poured at emulsion and not gelled it is like the light switch is turned off and no more zap. While the soap will be fine to use it will not last as long, not lather quite as well and not be quite as mild as it will be after a full cure. So you can certainly use a bar from your new batch while the other bars are curing, thus allowing you to compare the difference between a cured soap and a new soap.

Last edited:
Back