Hand made soap tools?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am new to soap making, even though I placed a huge order (to me) there was no way I could afford all of the recommend/wanted tools all at once. I mainly ordered the actual soap making supplies and just the 10" mold. Is there any that I could make and/or use things around the house in replace of? I have seen people using cardboard boxes for molds any other ideas?

Joni, when I was new I used just about anything from my recycle that would fit the bill. Also, I shop at thrift stores and found silicone cookware really cheap that worked great as soap molds. I also purchased small wooden boxes at thrift stores and lined with freezer paper, they worked great. You can use a small wooden drawer lined with freezer paper. But you wouldn't want to use one from a piece of furniture in your home, unless you are tossing it out anyway.

Milk cartons (paperboard) work fine for soap molds. You can make your own out of corrugated plastic for a very low cost. Here's a video:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/med...for-handmade-soap-making-part-1-youtube.1009/

I use the plastic containers from the distilled water to mix my lye. A friend of mine started this for me, and I would never have thought they would withstand the heat, but they do.

I cut a hole from the top of the handle around so I have a large opening but still a functioning handle. It doesn’t dribble either. Works great for me!

Hi Joni, I agree with all of the above suggestions. We all started with minimums. I started with Pringle cans, lined with freezer paper (very important to avoid contact with the aluminum lining) and after 24 hours, you can peel the can off, starting from the top.
Otherwise, you can get most tools in Dollar stores, Salvation Army and other thrift stores.
Two things you really will need are a very good scale (Brambleberry's is excellent) and a decent stick blender. I add a link that can also help.

Last edited:
Back