Halloween

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAShillito

Reaction score
Started the soapmaking again after a few weeks on vacation. Two Halloween loaves ( the grim reaper- NS) and 1 new "Marina"unisex scent ( straight up savage by natures garden)

Attachments

• 20220717_150308.jpg
    20220717_150308.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220717_150311.jpg
    20220717_150311.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220717_150356.jpg
    20220717_150356.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 0
Love the design of the little ghosts & candy corn... looks like a Halloween dream to me... I like candy corn. I once did a layered soap that looked like one, only huge!

I love the black. How did you get it so deep and gorgeous?
Its a 5 lbmold. I used 3 Tbsp Activated Charcoal, 1 heaping tsp black ironoxide from NS and 1 heaping tsp black onyx eco glitter from NS( glitter doesnt really show up in the photos). Learning about the iron oxide was a game changer for me for blacks.

Love the design of the little ghosts & candy corn... looks like a Halloween dream to me... I like candy corn. I once did a layered soap that looked like one, only huge!
Thank you!

Its a 5 lbmold. I used 3 Tbsp Activated Charcoal, 1 heaping tsp black ironoxide from NS and 1 heaping tsp black onyx eco glitter from NS( glitter doesnt really show up in the photos). Learning about the iron oxide was a game changer for me for blacks.

Thank you!
I'm betting the iron oxide made the difference. I can never get activated charcoal that black.

Started the soapmaking again after a few weeks on vacation. Two Halloween loaves ( the grim reaper- NS) and 1 new "Marina"unisex scent ( straight up savage by natures garden)
Does black iron oxide accelerate the batter the way activated charcoal does? I am going to try using it as I want a real black which I can’t seem to get with activated charcoal.

Does black iron oxide accelerate the batter the way activated charcoal does? I am going to try using it as I want a real black which I can’t seem to get with activated charcoal.
I don't like AC, I only use Black Oxide. I haven't noticed that it causes acceleration as opposed to other colorants including clays and micas. I use several oxides. But your mileage may vary depending on your recipe and soaping temperature. I recommend getting a small amount and experimenting.

I don't like AC, I only use Black Oxide. I haven't noticed that it causes acceleration as opposed to other colorants including clays and micas. I use several oxides. But your mileage may vary depending on your recipe and soaping temperature. I recommend getting a small amount and experimenting.
Thank you! I have been using activated charcoal but have not been pleased with the intensity- I just made a few loaves using black iron oxide and am beyond pleased iwth the result. I am using 1.25 tsp. ppo.

Sorry @melinda48, I havent been getting any notifications. Totally agree with TheGecko's advice

I think I have become a convert. I pre-mix it as I would Activated Charcoal and it is working beautifully! I also pre-mix my yellow oxide. Thanks for your opinions, I appreciate hearing from more experienced soapers!!

Latest posts

Back