Halloween soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kagey

Reaction score
big thanks to @Ford for her insight into using Red Palm Oil.
(I had ordered it and wanted to make an orange soap without using colorants/micas.)

I, too, used 15% along with some Sunflower HO oil that had been infused with Paprika.
Also used some Sesame Oil, which had a dark color.

Split the batter into 80/20 -- and added activated charcoal to the small portion.
Blended Orange 10X, Rosemary and Patchouli -- which accelerated trace.

If I had to do again - would reduce the activated charcoal portion to an even smaller percentage (maybe 10%).
A little goes a long, long way.

Attachments

• orange:black.JPG
    orange:black.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 44
I am in awe! The color proportions are perfect. Is that an in the pot swirl?
ha ha... it's a kagey special!
I wanted to do a "kiss" pour using one pitcher with batter, other with black (activated charcoal) -- but I made the mistake of pouring all the EOs in the batter!
and then it caused batter to seize - yet the black portion was very thin!
I tried of over stick blend the small (black) portion of batter - with not much luck...
so I quickly poured some black in mold followed by some orange
and with each passing minute, the orange batter got firmer
so I quit trying to make a nice design and simple poured layer after layer -- hoping the black would not get squeezed out by the thick orange - at one point I was making indentations in the orange to give the black a place to live... turned out much better than I expected.
in soaping terms-- I think this is known as the "panic pour!"
but don't try this at home!

all in all - it turned out much better than my first batch where I tried to make 3 portions - one reg batter, one with honey & vanilla select FO, one with charcoal and Orange 10X and one plain (with Orange 10X) - I kiss poured this one.
I was thinking that the honey/vanilla portion would turn brown, the original batter would be orange and the charcoal version would be black... well, of mice & men... I poured them when they were too thin and got the world's best smelling (like an orange creamsicle) and worse colored soap! ha ha.
the charcoal became a dark green (army fatique-ish) and some of the orange batter lived and turned yellow? (This batch was made with Hurrican water!)

Attachments

• ida #1.JPG
    ida #1.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back