Half-wrapping soap

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Reaction score
Has anybody wrapped just half of their soap in shrink wrap? I am playing around with it. I'm thinking to cut the shrink wrap bag to fit 2/3 the way up (a ts bar), and maybe covering the top edge with a cigar band, so that people can pick up the soap, but still smell it.

I think it is totally doable with some practice. I have done two so far and I have bubbles in the shrink wrap and the cut edge looks a little wonky, but thats where the cigar band label would go. I think I have to get the heat gun just right.

I originally did the bar with two cut ends, that might work too if I get it right with the heat gun. Heat too low and it just blows the wrap all over, and too high it shrinks up too much.

Reaction score
I have not tried that, but I have tried to use two halves of shrink wrap to make one piece for bath bombs and it didn’t work well, only occasionally. When I do shrink wrap soap, I sometimes occasionally burn a hole so people can smell through there. However that is often not needed because the shrink wrap I use is so thin you can smell through it.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THOSE are so pretty!! What is a shrink wrap band?
Like this - they are probably available at other places too :)

cerelife

Reaction score
I've been thinking about making frosted soap since no one around here does them and they DO look pretty cool. But obviously they aren't going to fit in my current soap boxes, so this shrink wrap is on my radar since you're supposed to be able to smell through the wrap:

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cerelife I've used polyolefin bags from Two Wild Hares. The smell is reduced, but you can smell through it.

At $30 for 500 bags, the price is better from them, with free shipping for orders of $35 or more.

MelissaG

Owner and Creator at Silver Branch Soapworks
Reaction score
@cerelife I've used polyolefin bags from Two Wild Hares. The smell is reduced, but you can smell through it.

At $30 for 500 bags, the price is better from them, with free shipping for orders of $35 or more.
These are the last ones I bought for my bath bombs. These are so much better quality than anywhere else I've ever purchased.

This process sounds like it might be a little fiddley. Is it taking you a long time to wrap each bar? If you are cutting both ends, wouldn't a shrink wrap band be easier? I know it's not transparent, but I think this looks so good. And no plastic.

How much does each wrapping for this cost?