hair product with EOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
my psoriasis on my scalp is horrible. I bought a hair product that had tea tree and peppermint and some citrus EO. my scalp feels so cooled right now. what I am wondering is does anybody make anything for hair that has these EOs in them and would you be willing to share your recipe? I am going to be doing some research--I need to come up with something close to what I just used. just hoping someone on here has used something with these EOs in them

Is it a shampoo/conditioner or a hair spray?
I have not used those specific oils but make a shampoo that would work with any EOs (in the right amount). It's a syndet shampoo/conditioner, a slightly tweaked version of what you can find on Humblebee&me.
If what you have is a hairspray, I would probably experiment with mixing some distilled water, polysorbate 20, and the EOs (plus some preservative).
It might help to read the ingredients and see if you can come up with something similar.

it seems to be in a whipped oil. I have found some recipes online that I am going to try. I have been using store bought shampoos designed for psoriasis that I have been wondering if they are making my scalp worse. so I am going to get a regular shampoo tomorrow and try some of the recipes. I cant believe how my scalp feels right now--tingly but in a good way and not itchy. cant wait to see how long it lasts.

my psoriasis on my scalp is horrible.
Hiya Marilyn!

I've recommended shampooing with Polysorbate 80 for scalp conditions and some have found that it works for them. Worth a try? Read more here:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fun-with-polysorbate-80.69670/

Here's a couple of links you may want to bookmark for future reference:

FIND ESSENTIAL OIL BLENDS
https://www.eocalc.com/

Essential Oils Safety Quick Reference, which you can download for free!

http://www.frannsalthealth.com/blog/essential-oils-safety-quick-reference/

HTH :)

Last edited:
@glendam thank you that is a good starting point and I recognize some of the ingredients as some I have on hand!!
Check out the ingredient label, the first five are the bulk of the recipe, EO’s are usually used at 1%

thanks!! I recognize some of the ingredients as some I have on hand. Good idea!!

I've recommended shampooing with Polysorbate 80 for scalp conditions

WOW--I am going to have to try this!!! thanks for all the wonderful info. I have some reading and creating to do today!!

When I moved to India, a common practice here completely changed my hair/scalp’s destiny... oiling. The concept is to oil your scalp and hair in the evening, let it sit overnight, and wash the next day. The oil used will generally be infused with herbs. I started making my own hair oil, which I also enrich with a blend of essential oils, and doing this weekly, and use an ACV rinse after washing. It gave amazing results.

So for your problem, I would suggest to make a hair oil for yourself, using a blend of essential oils good for psioriasis. If you have the patience, you can also infuse your oil with herbs.

I suffer from eczema, and my mom treated my the following EO blend and it helped a lot (it’s good for psiorasis too). And just to back it up, I’d mention that she’s a biochemist and now doing her PhD in EO, so she knows what she’s doing :)

melaleuca alternifolia 1 ml
lavandula angustifolia 2 ml
helichrysum italicum 2 ml
cymbopogon martinii 2 ml
eucalyptus citriodora 1 ml
melaleuca quiquenervia cineolifera 2 ml
Diluted in 20 ml of St John’s Wort liquid extract

You can use that on all of your psiorasis affected areas.

For your head, I would use coconut oil and add 5% of that blend (5% because the EO are already diluted in the extract, and I aim for around 2% of EO which is good for mild medication). So if you take 200 ml of coconut oil, you will add 10 ml of that mix to it. Apply and massage on your scalp and leave overnight. On the next morning, prepare 1 cup of water with 1 tsp of ACV, and pour it on your head after washing, and don’t rinse.

If you want to infuse the coconut oil, before adding the EO blend, put some herbs in a glass jar, add oil to cover them of an extra inch and leave in the sun for a month, or warm it at very low temperature for 5-6 hours (around 40C is good). I don’t know which herbs you have access to in your part of the world, but neem and vetiver would be good options. I can give the list of what I use for my hair oil but I doubt you can find easily in the US...

Back