Hair mask

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lye-h20-oil

Reaction score
I have a question about sodium hydroxide in 5 minute hair masks. It defies all logic that I've learned about soap making. I'm no expert but What I've learned is sodium hydroxide is for bar soap and potassium hydroxide is for liquid soap. I understand there are hybrids and exceptions to rules but I never knew conditioners had lye in it. Why would a 5 minute mask have sodium hydroxide? Is this the reason it is a max leave in time of 5 minutes? Do you think the sodium hydroxide is still active?

Artemis is right. The answer to your other two questions --

No, the reason for the 5 minute time is not related to the sodium hydroxide. I don't do masks, but I understand they can be drying and irritating to your skin if you use them for too long or use them too often.

And no, the sodium hydroxide is no longer active. It is completely consumed at the time the pH is adjusted.

Artemis is right. The answer to your other two questions --

No, the reason for the 5 minute time is not related to the sodium hydroxide. I don't do masks, but I understand they can be drying and irritating to your skin if you use them for too long or use them too often.

And no, the sodium hydroxide is no longer active. It is completely consumed at the time the pH is adjusted.
thank you for the reply, ironically I found a documentary last night on netflix called Good hair, Chris Rock was the host. Hair relaxer was one of the topics. Sodium hydroxide is one of the ingredients in hair relaxer. The documentary goes into detail on the dangers of the product. I'm not saying 5 minute hair masks are the same but found it fascinating because I questioned the ingredient and boom the same night I found a documentary on netflix talking about sodium hydroxide in hair care 😃

Back