Hair conditioning bar soap recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a search on this and found a mountain of information, but I'm not sure what the conclusion is. Forgive me if I am beating a dead horse.

Does anyone have a recipe for a good hair conditioning CP soap bar? Does such a thing even exist? I am only asking because a client wanted to know if I could make her something for her unmanageable hair because she loves my regular body wash CP soap so much. Could I pull a rabbit out of my hat again?

Thanks in advance for any answers, pro or con.

To my mind, hair conditioner + soap doesn't make sense. Currently, I am using just a drop or 2 of fragranced castor oil, rubbed between my palms, applied first to the ends, then worked through and smoothed all over works for shine and to prevent fly aways. A beard oil might work or more of a lotion bar that you rub on your hands and then work through the hair.

ETA: From Simple Life Mom...

Natural Conditioner Bar Recipe for All Types
  1. 4 ounces cocoa butter.
  2. 2 Tablespoons shea butter.
  3. 2 Tablespoons coconut oil.
  4. 2 Tablespoons raw honey.
  5. 2 Tablespoons aloe vera.
  6. 1 teaspoon hydrolyzed rice bran protein.
  7. 1/4 teaspoon nettle leaf powder.
  8. 15 drops lavender essential oil.

Last edited:
I'm sure you've already discovered that there are two rather polarized sides to the issue of shampoo bars/soap. I fall on the side of syndet shampoo bars and use a couple of recipes from DIY Bath & Body on Etsy. I sell a lot of them at my market. My hair is very fine but I have a lot of it (see my avatar). I've been using the Hot Pourable Shampoo recipe for the past year or so and rarely need to condition my hair after washing. It's silky, soft, and shiny and my hairdresser has told me several times how healthy both my hair and my scalp are.

I grew up using soap based shampoos (the cheapest my mother could find - with five daughters with longish hair, a bottle didn't last very long). Remember the old commercials that said "I just washed my hair and I can't do a thing with it"? Yeah, that was me.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/107...click_sum=9fc6d704&ref=shop_home_feat_2&bes=1

I don't think it's addictive shampoos, rather the frequency the hair is washed. When my hair is short, I wash it every day or two. Because I'm washing out the oils, my scalp produces more, which is washed away, and so the cycle continues.

I currently have very long, thick hair, and I don't wash it more than once a week. And it's fine.
The first week or so, when my scalp was used to being washed every other day, my hair looked like it needed washed after a few days. But once I got into the habit of washing it once a week,
it settled down and now that's all I need to keep my hair and scalp happy.

Back