Hair Conditioner Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mslorraine101

Reaction score
Can anyone help me find how to make a natural conditioner to accompany my line of shampoos? All I can find is recipes made with pure oil, vinegar, or that have to be kept in the frig.

Thanks

What do you mean by natural? Technically it only qualifies as a "conditioner" if it contains a cationic quaternary compound which adsorbs to hair (i.e. behentrimonium methosulfate, behentrimonium chloride, etc). You can do a moisturizing treatment with just coconut or other oils, but those typically need to be shampooed out. You can do a "mostly natural" conditioner - the Herbarie has a nice formula on their site for a Smooth and Silky (or something similarly named) conditioner that doesn't have too many additives. For everything you need to know about conditioners, and everything else B&B, check out Swift's blog:

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/

HTH!

I second Swift's site.

You can make solid conditioner bars if you want to avoid preservatives. Ideally, it's probably a good idea to use a preservative for them anyway but you could get away with not using one. However, anything water-based will need a non "natural" preservative and as earthchild comments, real conditioners incorporate cationic quaternary compounds.

What kind of shampoo do you make?

Latest posts

Back