Hair/beard oil help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make beard oil for my SIL that he really likes - equal parts jojoba, argan and fractionated coconut oils. I also add a bit of vitamin E and a couple of drops of EO. You could probably sub sunflower for the FCO, or split that part between the two.

I recently made one equal parts jojoba, avocado and FCO with Vit E. and one jojoba and avocado with vit E. I haven't heard back from my testers yet. I personally liked the first one in my hair. I should try the Argan. I need to order some more. I like argan in body butters.

Thanks. I'll probably have to skip the coconut since it makes mine and my daughter hair crunchy or maybe I'll just put it in the beard oil.

Sunflower is one of the few oils that can penetrate hair instead of just sit on top. I'm happy using just it but want to make something fancier for gifts lol.

I've seen beard oils in "best of" lists that only had jojoba and argan in them so I guess it's safe to assume you can go up to 50% with it.

I've been reading mixed info on sunflower and sweet almond, because apparently not everything that's good for hair is good for beard (different hormone in charge of it and different hair altogether) but I've seen many who use it, so in mine I used very less of it.

If you have meadowfoam apparently it's one of the 3 everyone agrees is best for beard (castor being the 3rd one). That's fancier. I can't even find any here lol

Hope that helped some..

In Aug-Sept, I made beard oil for my brother’s birthday gift and my nephew’s wedding gift. The base was 2 parts each jojoba and argan, and one part meadowfoam seed. I’d read a lot of blogs and websites before settling on that combo.

Scented them with EOs, using the amount suggested in EOCalc for leave-on products. It was a fairly low amount and not strongly scented in the end, but I wanted it to be skin-safe more than strong-smelling.

The EO blends consisted of lavender, carrot seed oil, geranium, cedarwood, and for my older brother, patchouli. The patch really covered the carrot seed smell. Without the patch, I had to use more lavender in the one for my nephew, who had requested a lav-themed gift box of body products as their wedding gift from me.

Both responded that the beard oil is very nice and works well for them. Didn’t think to try it on my hair, but will probably make a batch now that you’ve given me the idea. 😊

I plan to make beard oil and/or beard balm for my son and a few friendly testers who have been inquiring about the possibility. I did a search and this thread popped up. Yay! Does anyone have any additional suggestions or updates on oil options? I have jojoba, argan, FCO, meadowfoam, sunflower, sweet almond, castor and many other oils. I may be getting low on meadowfoam but have more than enough of everything else.

I was curious about @Dawni comment about oils affecting hormonal systems and found an article here, but after following a few links I decided not to go down that rabbit hole for now.

I have only made a few batches, but the recipe I used (listed in post above) was very well received. Sorry I don't have more to offer than that! I'll be excited to stand by and watch as you conduct your usual rigorous scientific testing to develop an excellent product. :)

I have only made a few batches, but the recipe I used (listed in post above) was very well received. Sorry I don't have more to offer than that! I'll be excited to stand by and watch as you conduct your usual rigorous scientific testing to develop an excellent product. :)
I finally had feedback from my son who received two bottles of beard oil made using your recipe as Christmas gifts. He says it's the best ever, even after using another beard oil that claims to be the best.

Back