hair and body cream formulation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aedina

Reaction score
What is your stand on formulating hair cream and body cream? Are they similar, or do you use different emulsifiers or different carrier oils?

Personally l do not see much difference, products l make for body work just as good on my hair too. I would appreciate very much your opinion on this issue!

Many of the formulas are very similar to each other. I make a lip balm and a hard lotion that share 95% of the same ingredients.

The shampoo bar and conditioner bars that I make also share some of the same ingredients.

With your situation you will have to remember that what works for you might not work for others the same way.

There are no real rules for what you personally use on your own skin and hair. However the FDA regulates many of the ingredients that can be used in hair and skin products that you sell to the public. Most of the regulations are safety related and can damage your skin or hair.

How you proceed is based on wether you are making these things for your self or to sell. Either way, I recommend that you pay attention to the FDA regulations, SDS & MSDS sheets.

Many ingredients work for both hair and skin products, but there are some exceptions.

I use BTMS when making hair conditioner. It is "substantive" meaning it bonds to the hair shaft and provides conditioning all on its own. E-wax does not have this ability. You can make a super simple hair conditioner with just BTMS, water, and preservative if you want. It works pretty well.

Another example -- Cetyl alcohol is also substantive so is better for hair. Stearic acid is not substantive.

Back