HAHA Soapmaking is "weird"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plain Jane’s Soapery sounds like a great business name.
It does. Thing is, that's one of my more "sedate" soaps. I love colour and playing with colour. The most common comment I've been getting is "That looks edible!" and "You're a true artist". I tend to disagree but... I do have fun and, honestly, I don't have a lot of "plain jane" soaps.

I like playing with colors, even though I am short of time these days, but I cannot sell fancy soaps. Like Shunt mine are all the same size no fancy tops, no piping etc. They just do not sell for me. Dried Fruit... OUCHIE :nonono:

I do not make fancy soaps, mine are simple with some nice swirls that all, I would not buy fancy soaps cause it may be difficult to use. Cupcake; bb and bubble frosting , those I make :) simple soaps are selling much better than my swilled once , People buy rather due the scent they like not how they look. At least this is my experience

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the artistry of the “fancies” but I can only imagine what would happen if I showered with cupcake soap at the gym.

I would like to take a moment to enjoy this comment. Thank you for the laugh this morning! I had an image of my husband trying to use a cupcake soap... LOL. It was a good chuckle.

I treat soap like functional art - I want people to use it so I can make more beautiful soap.

I wonder if advance soapers ever max out their creativity in soaping and progress to another medium to continue their artistic development.

Last edited:
I wonder if advance soapers ever max out their creativity in soaping and progress to another medium to contnue their artistic development.
For me, it's the other way around. I'm a long-time crafter. I've done cross stitch & petit point, rubber stamping, knitting, baking... and a lot of other things. Soapmaking is an amazingly creative outlet and it feels like a natural progression.

I can't give a plain unscented soap away to save anything. I've tried. I've even try making at least 1 loaf of uncolored unscented batch a year, and I might sell 1 or 2 and then the rest just sit there are season, and so if they are still in good shape rewrap and try the next year. Same thing Maybe 1 or 2 if I'm lucky. I stopped making plain unscented soaps 3 years ago, and out of the last 11 bar batch I still have 7 and that was after giving 2 away! In my area, for my target market they just do not sell.

Been called a hillbilly for making soap but not a hippy (yet).
I've been told that "my gramma used to make soap and I couldn't stand it"... then they come back for more whenever they run low.

Then again I really don't mind being called a hillbilly. We is a leetle independent round these parts.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the artistry of the “fancies” but I can only imagine what would happen if I showered with cupcake soap at the gym.

Oh come one! You gotta try it at least once and then report back to us!! And make sure there's piped flowers and some kind of non soap thing sticking out of it....and lots of pink and purple colors. Offer one to the guy next to you...and....just let us know how that goes. :shower::lol:

(No criticism, disrespect or anything negative meant toward those who make or buy or love the fancy soap. I love to watch their videos and ooh and aww over them. I just do not have the patience to plan and make them. I mean - make a batch of batter for the mold - then run to make another batch for the frosting, and have some embeds all ready to pop in??? Not happening in my world! Although - I'm considering making some Christmas tree cupcakes. Wonder if I have any piping skills left from Home Ec class 80's style?)

Oh come one! You gotta try it at least once and then report back to us!! And make sure there's piped flowers and some kind of non soap thing sticking out of it....and lots of pink and purple colors. Offer one to the guy next to you...and....just let us know how that goes. :shower::lol:

NO NO NO! I’m already testing the boundaries of masculinity with my sissy soaping hobby and orange blossom scented products. If I don’t draw the line at cupcakes, I’ll end up wearing a tutu and driving a Mary Kay pink Cadillac. A man has his pride for God sakes!

Last edited:
I thought if I ever made a bar worth selling that I'd do an unscented version. Now I don't think so since they are surprisingly unpopular. Anyway me selling is just a trip to Fantasy Island.

I was going to make some unscented as well, but I guess I won't do that. My husband loves my scented soaps, as do my friends. I keep thinking that I will get my website up and going (I bought a URL a year ago) and make YouTube videos, so I can start selling, but it's feeling more like a dream trip to Fantasy Island more and more.

I've not been making soap for long but so far it has been an awkward experience telling people that I'm making soap. I get the blank stare as a previous poster stated and the exasperated comments on having to wait 4 weeks to use it....like I'm not washing for 4 weeks at a time lol! Sooo I've decided to keep it to myself for now :)

Latest posts

Back