HAHA Soapmaking is "weird"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my nephews look at me like I was an old fart, so the next time I masterbatched some lye I took some selfies and now they call me "Breaking Soap"

As long as you aren't making "Raspberry Slushy" soap... LOL I know it's gross, morbid and graphic, but that was probably (for me, not in reality) one of the funniest scenes in Breaking Bad.
That and when they are fighting in the bathroom kicking each others' legs. haha

I live in the rural south and apparently grandma made soap and used it without curing. So I often get "I don't use that's homemade stuff. Burns like ____-.

I'm a guy and I make soap, and I really love making it. Some people I know say "I thought only girls make soap". I'm glad I can help expand their thinking.

I wonder if there is difference in soap made by men and women. I noticed soap made by women often looks edible or themed on something edible, like cupcakes.

Last edited:
Guys get mad at me when I tell them I don't sell fudge... The struggle is real, I have to watch that I get a good balance in my soap stock, otherwise I end up with all my soaps smelling like food.

Guys get mad at me when I tell them I don't sell fudge... The struggle is real, I have to watch that I get a good balance in my soap stock, otherwise I end up with all my soaps smelling like food.

Ha!

Do you think women would buy artisanal soap if it wasn't "fancy" looking and smelling...just a great bar of soap that looked and smelled pleasant?

Last edited:
Yesssss... kind of. Definitely good smelling would be a must. It seems like my "fragrance-free" customers are getting fewer and fewer. Even some customers that were loyally buying unscented will now only buy scented soaps, now that they have found scents that they like. They bought the unscented because it was good soap. Quite honestly, I could stop coloring and swirling my soaps and 98% of my customers wouldn't care because it's good soap and smells good. Soap is my artistic outlet, so I wouldn't be happy. I do colors and designs to make ME happy. There is a somewhat local soaper (next state over) that does scented uncolored soaps: S&J Majestic Soap I found them last summer and bought some of their soap (still haven't used it, I'm a hoarder, but it has aged very well). This summer they were at another festival where I was a soap lurker, checking out other soap vendors. Of the three vendors there, two were dead (they both had HP EO soaps), but S&J I couldn't even get to their booth there was such a crowd. So yes, you can make a good soap that isn't fancy looking and women will still buy it, but don't skimp on the fancy smell :D

I took a suitcase full of soap to a family reunion a few years back. My cousins leaped at the chance to have some free soap and every one of them put each bar to their noses before making their selections. Only one took the unscented.

I thought if I ever made a bar worth selling that I'd do an unscented version. Now I don't think so since they are surprisingly unpopular. Anyway me selling is just a trip to Fantasy Island.

Last edited:
The fancier the soap, the less likely I'll buy it. For example: no high tops, no botanicals that I have to pick off, no cinnamon stick or dried fruit sticking out, no cupcakes (except maybe as a gift), no weird shapes...picky, picky, picky. Ingredients first, smell 2nd, no ugly colors. I also won't buy from someone who makes medical claims. But I love a plain jane bar - especially one that's a very different recipe than mine.

The fancier the soap, the less likely I'll buy it. For example: no high tops, no botanicals that I have to pick off, no cinnamon stick or dried fruit sticking out, no cupcakes (except maybe as a gift), no weird shapes...picky, picky, picky. Ingredients first, smell 2nd, no ugly colors. I also won't buy from someone who makes medical claims. But I love a plain jane bar - especially one that's a very different recipe than mine.

Me either. I do make cupcakes for one show though. Customers look for them. I don’t get high tops or stuff on top. Mine are all the same size. I do like playing with colors though.

I usually get this ; YOu made all that soaps!!!! in general my customers are very kind and polite, even if they do not buy anything they always come to chat for a while, it feels very well. Especially that I have a kind of heavy accent ;) It seems not to bother anyone though ;)
my kids were saying that I am weird but right now they do not buy any soap, they use only homemade soaps

Dried fruit?! Who had that idea? I can unserstand making embeds that look like fruit, they are soap, they’ll get used. But why oh why would i want a piece of dried fruit on my soap? I just... no.

Dried fruit?! Who had that idea? I can unserstand making embeds that look like fruit, they are soap, they’ll get used. But why oh why would i want a piece of dried fruit on my soap? I just... no.

My soap teacher said “don’t put anything in soap that can get stuck in someone’s crevice.”

Last edited:
Back