HAHA Soapmaking is "weird"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcandleattic

Reaction score
I have a coworker that I share a birthday with, and because of that we have actually become friends of a sort. He's kind of like my mentor here where I work, especially because I am so out of my element, and he helps me understand why I'm even here. LOL

Well yesterday, I guess for the first time in over the year I've worked here, he found out I make soap.
I have never, in my life, ever had a reaction like his. I think if I cared at all what other people thought, I might be a little hurt. (trust me, I'm not at all even a little bit, I laughed at him because it was so funny)

Anyway, he got this look on his face like he was confused out of his mind and stated "What? are you serious? In a million years I never would have thought that. You make soap? That is just the weirdest thing I've ever heard of anybody doing. Really? You make SOAP?" He then said he never would have taken me for a "hippy" LMAO

So my question- have you ever been called a hippy because of making soap? (I know I've described myself as such- that and bohemian, but as a compliment, not ever in a derogatory way! Which I don't think he meant it derogatory, just that he seriously didn't know people made soap! -I find that WEIRD! LOL)

That's funny. I've not been called a hippy but had them state "Like my grandma made?" I can't figure out why people are so shocked. I work in a large hospital and some of them know I make soap but when other's find out they have a really surprised look on their faces. I'm sure he didn't mean it as a insult or anything. I laugh and some of the comments/looks sometimes.

Haven't been called that and am not a hippy although I like them. I grew up in OR and NorCal that had hippy vibes. I really miss it. I live in LA now. The places that had hippy culture have gentrified.

My brother laughed at me when I told him that I was making soap. He said something like "What's next...basket weaving?" }:-[ He was willing to try it though. Haven't given any away yet because I have yet to reach soaping Nirvana perfection.

I'm sure he didn't mean it as a insult or anything.
No, no he didn't. He had a smile on his face when he said, and I think he meant it as an endearment, rather than anything else. He's funny. I really like him.

I grew up in OR and NorCal that had hippy vibes.
I live not too far from Boulder Colorado. Seriously, there are places you can go there, it feels like you are stepping into a '70's peace, love, and happiness documentary!! LOL

Thank you for the laugh! Loud guffaw, in fact. I would have laughed as well had anyone said that to me.

No, no one has called be a hippie because I make soap. But I've dressed like a hippie at least half my life and actually was a hippie, including being a deadhead, so no one I know who really knows me would think to say, 'I never thought you'd do such a hippie-like thing', even if they did associate soap making with being a hippie-thing-to-do.

Really, I think of making soap as more of a traditional type thing, maybe even a survivalist type thing, although by adding all the fancy swirls and so forth to it, I would say some of us have moved beyond what some might view as traditionalist and survivalist cultures. But I don't think I could be called a traditionalist, and certainly not a survivalist. But, yeah, I could be called a hippie, but not because I make soap. Back then the only thing I made was clothes (tie-die and not), macrame, beads, food, you know, stuff like that. Never even thought of making soap until I was in my middle ages.

I guess it's better to hear, "You make soap?" than "Really...you should use some soap!" :p

Most recently I heard - "you can make soap?" as in "I had no idea that someone could do that. I thought it was some big factory thing."

Another recent one - "this isn't soap" I guess they were expecting something more like a commercial bar of soap.

I met some people at a show this summer who had no idea you could make soap. They started looking at my soaps and they went bezerk over the fact that they were made with beer, or coconut milk, or pumpkin puree or whatever. It was rather entertaining and livened up an otherwise boring day. I have never been called a hippy, but I've proudly claimed weird my whole life.

Thank you for the laugh! Loud guffaw, in fact. I would have laughed as well had anyone said that to me.
It was quite amusing.

Most recently I heard - "you can make soap?" as in "I had no idea that someone could do that. I thought it was some big factory thing."
I met some people at a show this summer who had no idea you could make soap.
I really think this is where he was coming from. I think he had no clue at all that it could be handmade.

But I've dressed like a hippie at least half my life and actually was a hippie, including being a deadhead,
A little background also -
On my off hours I dress down, and wear comfortable clothes, especially when making soap.

I think one of the main reasons he was so taken aback, I work in a very professional setting. I wear 3 piece suits (not sure how you say that for a female, but I do the whole professional dress-up bit) and nobody here has ever really seen me in my "Off hours" mode except my one coworker I trained with for 2 months in Guernsey, and the few that were with me when I went to Switzerland. Otherwise they see a professional woman in pencil skirts, business suits, pant suits, etc., They don't see the laid back comfortable me. (even though they get a sense of that through my sense of humor)

Ok the only reason I even know where Guernsey is, is because I JUST watched a movie that was set there. too funny.

I think it is a Guy thing really. Some just have no idea where soap comes from, or many other things for that matter.

My Brother can never make fun of my soap making... he took Loom Weaving in College !

Soap making went from grandma to back to the earth hippy to Fight Club to survivalist to general acceptance. I've never seen so many people selling soap. Kinda like the home brewers who used to be scarce. Then there were many, then someone got the idea of selling instead of just drinking. Now they're everywhere and the big boys have had to buy in to keep market share. Good luck.
I think your professional appearance is what threw him. He probably thinks of someone who makes soap with a flower in their hair, long denim dress, sandals and a leather headband embossed with peace signs.
In my much earlier life I learned to never be surprised at outward appearance as it often hid the real person inside. Sometimes ok, sometimes not.
I've not been called a hippy but grew up with quite a few sho nuff ones and I have tried basket weaving and like it.
The 60s were a strange time.

Soap making went from grandma to back to the earth hippy to Fight Club to survivalist to general acceptance. I've never seen so many people selling soap. Kinda like the home brewers who used to be scarce. Then there were many, then someone got the idea of selling instead of just drinking. Now they're everywhere and the big boys have had to buy in to keep market share. Good luck.
I think your professional appearance is what threw him. He probably thinks of someone who makes soap with a flower in their hair, long denim dress, sandals and a leather headband embossed with peace signs.
In my much earlier life I learned to never be surprised at outward appearance as it often hid the real person inside. Sometimes ok, sometimes not.
I've not been called a hippy but grew up with quite a few sho nuff ones and I have tried basket weaving and like it.
The 60s were a strange time.
I cant count on two hands and a foot the number of times someone has said "Oh like fight club?" My answer is usually, yeah except for the human fat and multiple personalities.

Your coworker should meet some actual weirdos.
LOL Right?
I cant count on two hands and a foot the number of times someone has said "Oh like fight club?" My answer is usually, yeah except for the human fat and multiple personalities.
UGH I know! I've never seen the movie, but know the premise (can't stand Brad Pitt's acting - he's a horrible actor)
Usually I just tell them, no not like fight club, however it can be done. Seriously, it can, but who would? Bleh

I get the Fight Club thing even from women - and people always think they're being hilariously funny when say it! It still shocks me when it pops up and I can't keep a civil expression on my face any more.

I get the Fight Club thing even from women - and people always think they're being hilariously funny when say it! It still shocks me when it pops up and I can't keep a civil expression on my face any more.
LOL It stopped shocking me about the 5th time I heard it after the movie came out. And YES, they always chuckle and think they are hilarious when they bring it up.
Like I said, I very seriously inform them, that yes, soap CAN be made that way and that seems to sober them up pretty quickly. LOL (Then they are the shocked ones!)

Oooh...I'm picturing myself in that scenario...and immediately offering them a free sample of my "special recipe" as I pull a sample bar from my purse!! :eek: Ack. The world is filled with non soapers so whatcha gonna do?

Latest posts

Back