Had a hair disaster tonight!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
So my hair was a brown/auburn colour (dyed) but decided I wanted to go a little redder. Got a dye that said mahogany and which looked red/brown. Put it on and ended up looking like Ronald McDonald!!
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1458089417.546569.jpg
It was a lot redder than this pic shows!

So decided to put a brown over the top to tone it down but this went waaaay too dark!!
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1458089511.955068.jpg
I actually like how this looks in the pic but the reality is that it looked almost black!

Next I got one of this colour strippers that isn't a bleach, it targets hair dye only without ammonia or peroxide.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1458089618.511528.jpg
Oh dear!! I knew I'd have to dye it after but wasn't expecting that!!

Finally added a natural brown and this is the final result
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1458089670.919893.jpg

So I've pretty much had all hair colours in one night!! Probably gonna wake up in the morning to find all my hair on the pillow!!

Oh my! I've been there a thousand times over in my twenties! Once I stayed pregnant for yrs on end, I gave up the dye. if I could pay for a salon to do what I wanted done to my hair, then I used to maintain it at home. I just haven't had motivation to go do that yet. That said now that I'm pushing 40, I'm finding the lone gray hair come up now and again. I might be in your boat soon girl ! it looks wonderful, and so long it doesn't turn green like it did on me once and break off at the roots on the crown of your head, I think you'll make it through this round LOL!

Oh my! I've been there a thousand times over in my twenties! Once I stayed pregnant for yrs on end, I gave up the dye. if I could pay for a salon to do what I wanted done to my hair, then I used to maintain it at home. I just haven't had motivation to go do that yet. That said now that I'm pushing 40, I'm finding the lone gray hair come up now and again. I might be in your boat soon girl ! it looks wonderful, and so long it doesn't turn green like it did on me once and break off at the roots on the crown of your head, I think you'll make it through this round LOL!

I thought you were "lionprincess" not "elephant queen"!

OMG, Sounds like it was some night! Glad it eventually worked out OK! :). I must admit to having serious hair dye envy though! My hair is naturally very dark and only goes orange and dry if I try to lighten it. You can go virtually any colour! I loved the red best though :grin:

I'm glad you still have hair on your head. :)
I really like the colour in the last photo, seems like it will suit your skin tone better than red.
I like red as well, maybe because I colour mine red too (wella 55/65, crazy looking colour but I love it). :D

Was it a box dye? I only ever had bad experience with them. Once, a light ash brown turned me into a Carrot Top. Other times, level 5 which is about my hair colour level, would turn into really dark brown, which is what probably happened to you in the 2nd photo. It would eventually wash out and look a bit lighter, but it takes 5-10 washes.

All the colors looked nice. I'm glad you ended up with something you were happy with. This reminds me of the time I decided to have my daughter highlight my hair at home. It was sooooo blonde. I called the salon and told them I needed an appointment the next day due to a color emergency. When asked what the emergency was, I told them I looked like Malibu Barbie. They knew exactly who I was when I went in the next day. I am still paying someone to do it.

I'm glad you got into a color you liked! That initial red one would probably have faded and toned down after a couple of days... but i can totally appreciate not wanting to wait that long with something you don't like.

After some hideous failures, I always pay someone to dye my hair now. I just can't do it on my own. My worst was a pale brown that dyed my hair nearly black so I looked like a goth, or the time I had a mascara wand thing for highlights which I asked my hubby to help with. He got it snagged in my hair then pinged it across the room into the sofa, I was so busy trying to was the sofa that I forgot the dye on my hair and it went a horrible off gold colour. Never again!.......

Back