Gunpowder Soap Recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!
A friend of mine who teaches gun safety and CCW classes asked me if I would make him a line of gunpowder soaps. My question is, can you actually add gunpowder to soap, or do people generally use gunpowder fragrance oil? I've seen several soap makers who make a "gunpowder" soap, but their ingredients seem to only use the fragrance oil. Thanks for your feedback!
warm regards,
Heather

I don't believe I've ever heard of adding actual gunpowder to soap. It's a little hard to look up how it would interact with the lye because, as I'm sure you know, there are lots of types of gunpowders for different calibers of bullets and types of firearms. However, one thing they all have in common is an oxidizer. Oxidation leads to rancidity in soap. They also frequently contain metallic elements, which also leads to oxidization and rancidity in soap.
Also, there's usually a sulfuric component, which, when combined with sodium makes sodium sulfide. This reacts with air to make hydrogen sulfide, which is responsible for the "rotten eggs" smell associated with sulfur.
In summary: it would most likely make your soap rancid very quickly, and your soap would most likely smell like rotten eggs.

I don't believe I've ever heard of adding actual gunpowder to soap. It's a little hard to look up how it would interact with the lye because, as I'm sure you know, there are lots of types of gunpowders for different calibers of bullets and types of firearms. However, one thing they all have in common is an oxidizer. Oxidation leads to rancidity in soap. They also frequently contain metallic elements, which also leads to oxidization and rancidity in soap.
Also, there's usually a sulfuric component, which, when combined with sodium makes sodium sulfide. This reacts with air to make hydrogen sulfide, which is responsible for the "rotten eggs" smell associated with sulfur.
In summary: it would most likely make your soap rancid very quickly, and your soap would most likely smell like rotten eggs.
Thanks for the great info!

There is a Numi Tea called Gunpowder Green Tea, which is delicious. You could make some tea, and use it as water replacement. Adiago Tea makes Gunpowder tea also, but I haven't tried theirs. I doubt it matters which brand you use when adding it to soap, but for drinking, I highly recommend the Numi.

Looking for something else and I found this. It looks like it would make a soap with tiny specks, but is a little $$ if you are only going to make one batch. I think @KiwiMoose has used black sand. Or was it regular sand - I can't remember.
Yes, yes I did. Black sand from the west coast. Hold on while i find a pic...
Here you go - I apologise for the wait 🙃
I made little 'ocean' soaps out of it. The sand went onto the black part ( with charcoal) and also the green part. The white part was unsanded.
5D1CFC39-9935-4FC4-876C-224FA97F9CBE_1_201_a.jpeg

Hello all!
A friend of mine who teaches gun safety and CCW classes asked me if I would make him a line of gunpowder soaps. My question is, can you actually add gunpowder to soap, or do people generally use gunpowder fragrance oil? I've seen several soap makers who make a "gunpowder" soap, but their ingredients seem to only use the fragrance oil. Thanks for your feedback!
warm regards,
Heather
Looks like you got lots of great responses! What might seemed like an odd question got a lot of interest lol. I love my girl, i mean fire arm. I think this could be a good seller. Maybe with a thin blue line?

edit....i would like to hear some fragrance suggestions

edit again lol...girl camo

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back