guitar strings

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
don't know if this is the right spot to post this or not so I am going to. I am using .016 on my cutter and I am wondering what every body else uses. does the size matter as far as how it cuts? and why not use the coated ones? and has anybody used the woven ones? I almost am curious enough to throw one on my cutter just to see how it cuts--I can imagine it wouldn't be fun to clean though

I read another post that got me thinking and I didn't want to highjack that thread. I have been wonder about the gauges of wire.
what gauge would be better for cutting---- thicker or thinner? I am thinking too thin and it will loosen but too thick and it might crumble instead of cutting. I am trying to pin point why I have holes where I cut. sometimes I think it seems like its worse if I cut sooner but I don't know. I have planed the soap and the holes go away so in my mind it is the wire. I am thinking maybe I need to go get different gauges and put them on one of my cutters and cut one loaf with all of them. does it make a difference if I cut slow or go faster??

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a bud cutter, can't remember off the top of my head what wire is used as I have not had to change any... after about 2000 soaps. You can look him up and see, I know it is written on there somewhere.

You need to show a pic of the soap you are tlaking about. Cutters Do Not make holes, soap with bubbles do or soap with stearic will make marks that look like holes if they are big enough.
For this reason I do not do the Hot lye to RT oils if it is a hard oil

Back