Grubbly bits....what to do?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyKnuckles

Reaction score
So, over the years I have collected about 2/3 lb of grubbly bits of tallow soaps that were just getting too small and I put them aside. Whatever shall I do with the bits?

Do I shave them up and add them to the next batch? Not wanting to waste them, but what can I do with them?

I have seen little crotched bags--some one on here makes them I believe. ya put all the bits in there and use. I am acquiring them too but I think as long as I used them I am gonna toss them

You can soak the bits in a little water until they become pliable and form them into soap balls.

Are these "grubby bits" leftover from soap you have used on yourself? Unless the new soap is going to be solely used by you, I would NOT put them in a new batch of soap. (Sorry, that's just icky)
However, you could do what lsg suggested, gather them, get them moist and squish them together to form a ball or bigger soap 'bar'.

I agree with above, if these are used bits of soap I wouldn't put them in anything I would be giving to other people. I would actually be concerned putting them in any soap at all for fear of contamination and causing DOS in the new soap. I put my slivers and end bits into a crochet bag and use them in the shower that way. I have also used light muslin bags with success this way.

I put my slivers and end bits into a crochet bag and use them in the shower

I have been thinking of doing this too but I have so many end pieces to use and honestly am beginning to feel like a hoarder of soap :) it is just so hard to toss out

am beginning to feel like a hoarder of soap :) it is just so hard to toss out
Yes, and I have 10lbs of beveling shavings to prove my "disease", lol! Fortunately I have found a great use for the bevelings and a customer base to use it. The crochet bags are great for saving slivers, they're my daughter's favorite soap to use. The mixture of soap that ends up in there is just a great mix. Some day I will start tracking it to see if I can mimic a recipe - but it's hard to judge because there's other people's soaps in there too....

Am I the only one throws out the tiny left over slivers? Sometimes I might stick them to a new bar but thats about it.

I do put salt bar bits in a soap sock but they are generally bigger or broken from being dropped.

I put all of mine in one of these and use it in the shower to lather and scrub the bottoms of my feet. Unless I'm going out somewhere away from the house, I go barefoot most of the time, and this helps to really get the accumulated dirt off that my tootsies pick up throughout the day.

IrishLass :)

Haven't made this yet but its on my bucket list of things to make with the leftover soaps: Homemade Laundry Detergent.
2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda
1 cup baking soda
grated 1-2 bars of soap
20 drops of essential oils
Use 1-2 TBSP per load, adjusting for your washer.

Am I the only one throws out the tiny left over slivers? Sometimes I might stick them to a new bar but thats about it.
No, you are not the only one to toss the little slivers. When they are that small and I have a box full of new soaps I want to use, I don’t think it’s wasteful. I don’t sell, so my mindset is probably different from those who do. End pieces are at the kitchen sink where they quickly get used up and replaced.

Edit to add: hubby sticks the old sliver to a new bar.

I prefer to use up the soap by putting into little mesh bags or just toss the tiny slivers. Most of the time, though, even the tiny slivers get used up and don't even make it into a mesh bag.

Adding them to laundry soap was something I used to do, but I don't even do that anymore.

I only give away my first run products, and then only after I have used the first bar on myself as guinea pig. As for a confetti/grubbly bits soap, that'll be all for me anyway since it will be such a small batch.

I have started (finally) tossing the tiny slivers--i have a couple shoe boxes of ends and what nots--and I want to try some of them. I still have 2-8 ends at each sink

I use up the bits as I make 'em, so I don't have to deal with this "whaddaya do with a big bunch 'o scrap" problem.

The last sliver of the old bar gets "glued' onto the new bar so it gets used up.

All the fresh shavings and parings from a new loaf of soap get spritzed with alcohol (water works too), smooshed firmly into a small "hamburger bun" shape, and allowed to cure. I use these for travel or at the sink.

Back