Gross Chai Brick :D

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticBanshee

Reaction score
Well, I guess it happens. I am a newbie. So far had only made individual- mold m&p soaps. So I felt brave in making my first loaf mold soap.

The PLAN: Make a nice Thai Tea-scented soap for my bf. Give it some orange color, and creamy white color on top to mimic the tea in a glass.

The EXECUTION: Heated entirely too much Shea butter base soap together. Like 3 lbs of it at once. That was dumb. Then I throw some BB Sunset Orange and Cappuccino Bronze color block pieces in there. Also dumb. It turned into a 1970’s office phone- beige.

The SCENT: BB’s Cardamom Chai.

The STINK: Is it the Bergamot in there that is so pungent? I don’t know. All I know is, it’s gross. And hopefully the scent will lighten up after a couple of weeks. I’m never going to stop smelling this FO. It’s become one with my dna. Can’t wait to give it away! 😅

Attachments

• 8ECDE0D9-5E3D-4C8E-BE7B-BA629D630AD8.jpeg
    8ECDE0D9-5E3D-4C8E-BE7B-BA629D630AD8.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 0FD526FB-BB9E-4E57-B191-80DD41F9BC24.jpeg
    0FD526FB-BB9E-4E57-B191-80DD41F9BC24.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 40
I’m never going to stop smelling this FO. It’s become one with my dna. Can’t wait to give it away!
I agree with @AliOop -- lovely tan shade I'm quite drawn to. Whatever the issue with the scent, give it some time.... fresh out of the mold is always stronger. It might just mellow out to one of your all-time favorite scents. That's been known to happen. :D

I am sad for you. When I first read about that soap in another thread, I thought, I LOVE Chai Tea; bet it smells great! I actually used a Chai FO that is no longer available and man do I miss it. It WAS great. Discolored, but the scent was to die for if you're a chai lover, anyway.

Aw well, I do hope it improves with age. The soap looks lovely, but I would have expected a darker color and I see you are disappointed in the shade as well. Even so it is really very pretty soap and you did a great job on the foamy top layer.

I am sad for you. When I first read about that soap in another thread, I thought, I LOVE Chai Tea; bet it smells great! I actually used a Chai FO that is no longer available and man do I miss it. It WAS great. Discolored, but the scent was to die for if you're a chai lover, anyway.

Aw well, I do hope it improves with age. The soap looks lovely, but I would have expected a darker color and I see you are disappointed in the shade as well. Even so it is really very pretty soap and you did a great job on the foamy top layer.

Thank you for the kind words! I guess what doesn’t help is that I, myself, do not like the drink, so I guess it makes sense I’m not going to like the FO. I also live in a 600 sq ft apt that doesn’t have the greatest ventilation. Something to keep in mind for my next loaf batches, I guess lol

Love the color. It’s very inviting and relaxing. Calming just like a cup of chai! Understandably when we have one color in mind and are greeted with a completely different color it can be disconcerting. As for the fragrance. in my beginner experience fragrance generally fades as soap dries. Also we all experience scents differently. Perhaps your BF will find the scent perfectly suited. Thank you for sharing.

Back