Grocery store soap challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FragranceGuy

Reaction score
Attention shoppers! You’ve got lye waiting for you at home, but you have no oils, additives or molds. The challenge is to make an excellent soap using at least 3 oils that can be found in virtually any grocery store. As far as additives go, none or many. You MUST pick a mold from products or containers found in the store. Bonus points if you use the contents of said container in your soap 😉

Well I'm not lots of experience but, I've used my soymilk containers quite frequently. I used to drink it so I have several. They are sturdy enough to reuse as well. And also put soy milk in the recipe. Noticed it doesn't heat up like other real milks ofc. Which is nice. You can play with the orientation too, a horizontal cut on the more narrow side makes a great tall skinny. I leave a flap for the lid. And conveniently affordable is soybean oil to match. Soybean peanut and olive. Was in my last couple recipes. Grocery store oils is all I have atm. Some day I'll splurge. Maybe my unreasonable love for chocolate but can't wait to try cocoa butter.

If we can go to more than one store and more than one town and spend as much as needed... (Sorry, but I live in a village of 209 people. I'll need money and wheels or the loan of a neighbor's good strong horse...and some of their RBO! LOL)
Canola, Coconut, RBO. hmmmm....I could cut the Canola Oil bottle in half lengthwise and use it as a mold. Tada and Done!

Lard, avocado, coconut, tallow, and palm (in the baking aisle under the name Spectrum Organic Vegetable Shortening). Might pick up some cocoa powder while I'm there for a little brown, then over to the spice aisle for turmeric to make a yellow swirl in the brown -- or should I make a brown swirl in the yellow? 🤔

Cut over to the dairy aisle for some yogurt or goat milk. Then over to the baking implement section and hope that they have silicone muffin molds, which make nice-sized pucks. If not, I can use the goat milk container or yogurt container as the mold.

Last edited:
Lard, avocado, coconut, tallow, and palm (in the baking aisle under the name Spectrum Organic Vegetable Shortening). Might pick up some cocoa powder while I'm there for a little brown, then over to the spice aisle for turmeric to make a yellow swirl in the brown -- or should I make a brown swirl in the yellow? 🤔

Cut over to the dairy aisle for some yogurt or goat milk. Then over to the baking implement section and hope that they have silicone muffin molds, which make nice-sized pucks.

You win! Awesome!

I would go to Walmart and buy Lard, Olive Oil and Coconut Oil and some Shortening with animal fat. Shoot over to the isle for stomach issues and get some Aloe Juice..So many things can be used as a mold. Desk organizers, Tupperware, Milano Cookie packaging...Paprika, Turmeric, Cocoa Powder for color...Awesome soap would result! One stop soap shopping! 😂

Ohhh - hey...our WalMart has Avocado oil - and I forgot the butcher in the even smaller village near us has tallow! hmmmmm I need to change my answer, please.

RBO (from our village's feedstore), Avocado (WalMart in nearest city), Coconut (Amish store in next village), Tallow (butcher in other next village), Canola (WalMart in nearest city). I'd still use Canola so I could use the bottle for a mold to get the Bonus points. 😁

I've been at this longer than most of the members. In my early days, I did a lot of experimentation. Off the top of my head, in addition to the base oils already mentioned...

Sunflower Oil
Grape Seed Oil
Carrot (infuse in oil)
Lettuce (infuse in oil)
Tomato (infuse in oil)
Beet juice
Cucumber
Parsley, fresh & dried
Lemon & orange - juice & rind
Realemon Juice
Potato (water for lye solution)
Rice (water for lye solution)
Pasta (water for lye solution)
Teas: Green, chamomile, rooibos
Coffee, Instant coffee, Espresso powder
Honey, Molasses, Maple Syrup
Oat flour, Barley flour, Rice flour
Oatmeal, corn starch, baking soda
Sea Salt
Spices: Cinnamon, clove, paprika, bay leaves
Apple Cider Vinegar
Beer & wine
Castor oil
Aloe juice & gel
Vitamin E capsules (antioxidant)
Bera Carotene capsules (colorant)
Frozen Blueberries (juice for colorant)
Baby food - carrot, spinach (colorant)
Crayola Crayons (colorant)
Egg
Dairy & Non-dairy milk, cream, yogurt
Powdered milk, buttermilk, goat milk
Carnation Condensed Milk
Meyenberg canned goat milk
Dried sea weed
Pringles (mold)
1 lb. lard box (mold)
Cupcake//muffin liners (mold)
Milk/OJ cartons (mold)
Nancy's Mini Quiche (multi-cavity mold)

Last edited:
I've been at this longer than most of the members. In my early days, I did a lot of experimentation. Off the top of my head, in addition to the base oils already mentioned...

Sunflower Oil
Grape Seed Oil
Carrot (infuse in oil)
Lettuce (infuse in oil)
Tomato (infuse in oil)
Beet juice
Cucumber
Parsley, fresh & dried
Realemon Juice
Sea Salt
Apple Cider Vinegar
Beer & wine
Castor oil
Aloe juice & gel
Egg
Carnation Condensed Milk
Dried sea weed
Pringles (mold)
1 lb. lard box (mold)
Milk/OJ cartons (mold)

Wow!! That is an exhaustive list and I’m impressed and thankful!!! Thanks @Zany_in_CO

You all (ya’ll 😆) are crafty peoples! So many great ideas 💡

I’m thinking..
GV shortening 35%
Canola 25 %
Coconut oil 20%
Crisco 20%

Lay’s stacks or almond milk container as a mold. I’m losing bonus points because I’m not skilled enough to know better as far as additives go. I’ve never used liquid replacements for distilled water. However using oil containers as a mold is grabbing my attention.. 🤔 😉

Last edited:
Pringles taste better than Lays! LOL
2¢ Worth.gif

Also, I would do one 16 oz batch with GV shortening (with tallow) and another one with Crisco (all vegetable) to compare the difference between the two. Maybe do another one with Spectrum all vegetable shortening (palm oil).

ETA: Whether you use Stax or Pringles for a mold, be sure to leave 1/4" or so head room at the top. It will be easier to unmold. Also, when ready to unmold, stick it in the freezer for 1 hour. Take out and let it set for 5 minutes. Then run hot water on it for a bit to help it come out.

Last edited:
You’ve got lye waiting for you at home, but you have no oils, additives or molds.
So, an average day then, eh? 🤣

The only thing I use a lot that I have to order in is mica. I'm in a similar situation to Kim in that shopping locally involves going to multiple shops, but assuming I can use our little town as my supermarket it would be:

Tallow from the butcher.
Essential oils from the chemist.
Olive oil, coconut oil both to be had in the convenience store.
Goats milk also from the convenience store, in the batter and use the container as the mould for my bonus points 🤭 I guess I'll have to make a bunch of custard and bread-and-butter pudding to use up the rest of it...
I have rhubarb, weld and meadowsweet in the garden and parsley, paprika and turmeric in the spice rack so I guess I could assemble some colours from those if it's allowed!

Sunflower Oil
Grape Seed Oil
Carrot (infuse in oil)
Lettuce (infuse in oil)
Tomato (infuse in oil)
Beet juice
Cucumber
Parsley, fresh & dried
Realemon Juice
Coffee, Instant coffee, Espresso powder
Sea Salt
Apple Cider Vinegar
Beer & wine
Castor oil
Aloe juice & gel
Egg
Carnation Condensed Milk
Dried sea weed
Pringles (mold)
1 lb. lard box (mold)
Milk/OJ cartons (mold)
:winner::winner::winner:

I'll head to the grocery store and pick up some coconut oil, olive oil, and spectrum organic shortening ( i've used that too @AliOop !) , castor oil (in the pharmacy aisle) some coffee beans to grind ( make a little coffee when I get home) , some cocoa, and some ice cube trays ( can never get enough to freeze goat milk later) I hope this isn't cheating, but I ALWAYS have goat milk at home,I can't help it 😂. I love goat milk chocolate coffee foot scrubs!!!

I am currently experimenting and have oils for several batches that I just bought (waiting on lye as there is none locally). I have lard, coconut, grape seed, olive and avocado. Sea salt for a brine batch. Is a trip to the post office allowed? My first batches were all molded in boxes from the post office lined with freezer paper. I have not tried it but wondering if powdered buttermilk would add something to the soap? Hmmm

Latest posts

Back