Grocery store soap challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut the bottom off. Use the plastic top for the bottom.
Remember to leave about 1/4" headroom when filling. It makes the soap easier to unmold.
Have a single-cavity mold handy for excess soap.
If the soap doesn't budge when ready to unmold, stick it in the freezer for 1 hour. Take it out and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then run warm-hot water on the outside.

Pringles cans make a nice size round bar. :thumbs:
@Zany_in_CO Swooping in for the clutch advice! Thank you!

Being that my grocery soap is my best soap yet, I decided to make 4 pounds 😆 I used a cardboard box modified with a pocket knife and minimal math. I’m expecting 18 - 3 by 3in bars. I actually brought this recipe to trace. I’m guilty of of bringing my soap to “inverted trace” aka the emulation leaves an impression rather than traditional trace. So far my soap works 😉 Working with lard, I could burn out my stick motor very easily. After 15 minutes of emulsion I’ll call it good living!!!

I’m planning to use a pringles container as a mold today. It seems to be lined with a metal foil and metal bottom. I figure it could be problematic with the lye. I have freezer paper to line the sides... any suggestions about the bottom?
I always cut the metal bottom off the can and that became the top. For the top (now bottom) of the mold I taped freezer paper tightly over bottom and put plastic lid over that. There was sometimes a little bit of leakage if I didn't tape tightly enough, but nothing too serious.

Lard, Coconut oil, coconut FAT??!?! (WTH IS THIS STUFF) and some mid-oelic rapsoil at the ready for some experiments next week! (castor oil should be here today via mail, but that wasn't from the supermarket)

Attachments

• 956ABC67-DB58-465E-8FE3-C9D04579076D.jpeg
    956ABC67-DB58-465E-8FE3-C9D04579076D.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 31
I’m planning to use a pringles container as a mold today. It seems to be lined with a metal foil and metal bottom. I figure it could be problematic with the lye. I have freezer paper to line the sides... any suggestions about the bottom?
I tried it already and it worked out fine! I CP and used pineapple essential, the recipe traced relatively fast and I stored in room temperature 25 hours, unmold was easy, gel phase completed as a result of sealed container. Good Luck!

Pringles cans are pretty cool, I'm going back to them when I get my shave soap perfected.

For my first batch I cut a little circle of freezer paper to cover the bottom. I'm not sure if this is ideal, but it worked for me.

Here is what I do to ensure the bottom stay's put:

Lard, Coconut oil, coconut FAT??!?! (WTH IS THIS STUFF) and some mid-oelic rapsoil
Is the lard "schmalz" seasoned? Just curious. I learned to make schmalz from chicken fat compliments of a dear neighbor a long time ago. We added a few tasty bits to it -- salt, pepper & onion as I recall.
at the ready for some experiments next week!
I'm happy to see you joined the challenge!
Unless you already have a recipe in mind, I recommend the BASIC TRINITY OF OILS Starter Recipe. You have coconut oil/fat, sub lard for the palm in the formula; sub the rapeseed oil for the olive in the recipe.

TIPS: It is recommended that you make small 16 oz. / 500g batches at first to get the hang of it. I would use the Default Settings on SoapCalc for the first batch. Because this is a well-balanced formula, SAT : UNSAT, I would combine the lye solution and the oils when temps are between 120°F (49°C) - 135°F (57°C). Make the lye solution and set it in the sink to cool while you weigh and then melt your oils. To set the foundation for future batches, leave out the fragrance and colorant.

HAPPY SOAPING!

Is the lard "schmalz" seasoned?
No. “Schmalz” is the generic German name for low-melting animal fats (pig, goose etc.), the literal German word for “lard” (or even fats in general). As store-bought, it is not seasoned. And “Schmalz” itself is (at least in German, can't speak for Yiddish) not a taste quality itself, but there are quite some rustic spreads made with/from Schmalz (e. g. Griebenschmalz). And, of course, there is Ohrenschmalz (earwax).

Lard, Coconut oil, coconut FAT??!?! (WTH IS THIS STUFF) and some mid-oelic rapsoil at the ready for some experiments next week! (castor oil should be here today via mail, but that wasn't from the supermarket)

Kokosfett is my second favorite Star Wars character..

Grapefruit, vetiver and oakmoss, So delicious!! If you look close you’ll see two bars from @Tara_H 😍 She shared her WONDERFUL smelling soaps with me 🤗 They’re curing now, I can’t wait!! But I have too

Attachments

• 07E437F5-85FA-4378-B570-ED4B820FEB07.jpeg
    07E437F5-85FA-4378-B570-ED4B820FEB07.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 907F053A-8979-4A19-AA19-DD9773C7BC61.jpeg
    907F053A-8979-4A19-AA19-DD9773C7BC61.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 20
  • F6850323-6E68-4DC8-96F2-2124C6F58BFC.jpeg
    F6850323-6E68-4DC8-96F2-2124C6F58BFC.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 98825F62-4FC6-4EF5-B2E5-F782CB8EB359.jpeg
    98825F62-4FC6-4EF5-B2E5-F782CB8EB359.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 32
just cut these guys: a 500g batch of 75% lard, 20% coconut oil 5% castor, @ 5% superfat!! Very excited about this! Got a chance to use my new squirrel stamp!
I wish i had a better camera :p

Unless you already have a recipe in mind, I recommend the BASIC TRINITY OF OILS Starter Recipe.
You have coconut oil/fat, sub lard for the palm in the formula; sub the rapeseed oil for the olive in the recipe.

I think maybe I'll give this a shot today! ~30% rapeseed oil seems like a nice experiment. and it wouldn't be cheating, because I can't actually get castor oil in my grocery store :/

maybe I should make a few diff batches, working my way up from 15, to 35, to 60, to 80 percent rapeseed oil.

I'm gonna maybe do that next week when I have 2-3 days to wait around for guys high in unsaturated fats to set. and i am going to do them in unlined milk cartons :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_7669(1).JPG
    IMG_7669(1).JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
@FragranceGuy
Wow! Congrats! But don't spread a bread with it, they look just like butter on the first glance. 😁
If you look close you’ll see two bars from @Tara_H 😍 She shared her WONDERFUL smelling soaps with me 🤗
She really leaves out not a single opportunity to make room on her curing rig, to justify making even more soap 😜🤣

She really leaves out not a single opportunity to make room on her curing rig, to justify making even more soap 😜🤣
Well, you know, I picked up on all the subtle hints and figured I could send some to a good home 😆

If anyone wants to save me a half bar to sample, I promise I won’t cry.
Once again, I want to clarify, I won’t cry if you decide to save a bar for me. If you don’t, that’s TOTALLY OK. I could use a good cry 😢

Well, you know, I picked up on all the subtle hints and figured I could send some to a good home 😆

Gosh, I really laid in hard!! 😆 I made it VERY clear that I wanted to try your soap and I even implied a guilt trip if you didn’t want to share 🤣 No apologies!!! 😉 Seriously though, THANK YOU Tara ☺️ Your beautiful soap will be much appreciated.

9:51 PM
Grapefruit, vetiver and oakmoss, So delicious!!
9:54 PM
I’ll clean the bars up tomorrow. Canola and sunflower are slower to harden...
10:02 PM
I used the grocery soap recipe without the paprika. 4lbs. I’m really digging the sunflower/canola for soft oils
Just a friendly FIY: Instead of 3 posts, one after another, to add a comment to your post, look for the "Edit" button, lower left on the post. Click on that to open the page for any additions, corrections or whatever. Be sure to click "SAVE" when finished. You can edit as much as you like. The "Edit" feature is available for 24 hours.

9:51 PM

9:54 PM

10:02 PM

Just a friendly FIY: Instead of 3 posts, one after another, to add a comment to your post, look for the "Edit" button, lower left on the post. Click on that to open the page for any additions, corrections or whatever. Be sure to click "SAVE" when finished. You can edit as much as you like. The "Edit" feature is available for 24 hours.

Yes, I’m sorry! I’m bad at the internet 😂

Back