Grocery Store Soap Challenge Photo Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you get your chemistry knowledge? Were you formally educated in this way or did you learn from lots of personal research?
Both. Advanced chemistry course in school was a good overall primer. The whole detergent/surfactant stuff was quite a topic. But soap chemistry there was limited to learning why soap is alkaline and shouldn't combined with hard water and acids. With some retrospective distance, I now recognise how much of these textbooks were a well-intended preparation for a career as staff in 1980s-ish chemical industry.

However, the most important thing I learned was to not fear complicated formulas. Really, scientists are very lazy people, and they already have categorized, sorted and labelled everything so that it makes the least possible effort to come by their findings about how incredibly complicated Nature is, and how to orient oneself through it.

Both. Advanced chemistry course in school was a good overall primer. The whole detergent/surfactant stuff was quite a topic. But soap chemistry there was limited to learning why soap is alkaline and shouldn't combined with hard water and acids. With some retrospective distance, I now recognise how much of these textbooks were a well-intended preparation for a career as staff in 1980s-ish chemical industry.

However, the most important thing I learned was to not fear complicated formulas. Really, scientists are very lazy people, and they already have categorized, sorted and labelled everything so that it makes the least possible effort to come by their findings about how incredibly complicated Nature is, and how to orient oneself through it.

The sciences definitely seem to come naturally to you! It seems second nature. My last chemistry course was in high school. It was the only class that I got a 98 or above on every assignment. I enjoyed that I was being graded against a “correct” mathematical answer, rather than being judged on whether a teacher enjoyed my style of writing an english paper. I’d rather get lost in math, where time flies, than spend 12 hours writing a paper and end up getting a C+ 😆 I studied music in college and regrettably never took another chemistry class. In my early 20s I made fireworks as a secondary hobby to music. It re-awoke my love for weights, values, math and chemistry. While I haven’t made fireworks in over a decade, I’m so grateful that everything I learned has aided me in soap making. I think your talent for understanding/applying the sciences to work for you, your interests and an apparent desire learn about nature through hands on experimentation are going to aid you in all your pursuits. How’s that ☝️ for a run-on sentence! No wonder I didn’t do so well in English class 😆

Okie Fanokie. Grocery Store Challenge Soap - poured! I decided on a lollipop swirl with hi/lo batter.
Recipe:
Sunflower Oil 192.6g
Corn Oil 128.4g
Lard - Fresh 70.3g
Total 391.3g
SF = 2%
Lye = 1:1
25g water added to "hi" batter (~50% of original lye solution water weight)
Additives:
4g Corn Starch (~1% TOW)

> I guessed 60/40 for the Sunflower and Corn Oil percentages since I used blended oil, and the SAP values are similar (.137 and .135).

My pretty rendered and cleaned lard. No smell, btw. You can see my mad cutting skills evidenced on the Corn Starch bottle - and this with a straight indent line on the bottle to follow. 🤣
IMG_9138.JPG

My hi/lo batters. YES, I poured from these containers. No pitchers.
IMG_9140.JPG

And, done, in literally 182 seconds. The Lollipop Swirl technique is SO much easier with a larger mouthed column mold, and when you're able to pour more batter with each pour. Even have a nice lollipop at the top. Of course, it also helped that there was no self-imposed "Monthly Challenge" anxiety! 😁
IMG_9143.JPG

All tucked in for the night...
IMG_9147.JPG

😍😍😍

Can't wait to see Lollipop Ghost swirl!
Well, kinda have to, though. Better be doubly hesitant to unmould that one. Best wait until the soap would come out by itself, don't force anything; soap batter at times really sticks well to PP plastic. Particularly with your very soft recipe.

And, done, in literally 182 seconds.
That's my people!

Okie Fanokie. Grocery Store Challenge Soap - poured! I decided on a lollipop swirl with hi/lo batter.
Recipe:
Sunflower Oil 192.6g
Corn Oil 128.4g
Lard - Fresh 70.3g
Total 391.3g
SF = 2%
Lye = 1:1
25g water added to "hi" batter (~50% of original lye solution water weight)
Additives:
4g Corn Starch (~1% TOW)

> I guessed 60/40 for the Sunflower and Corn Oil percentages since I used blended oil, and the SAP values are similar (.137 and .135).

My pretty rendered and cleaned lard. No smell, btw. You can see my mad cutting skills evidenced on the Corn Starch bottle - and this with a straight indent line on the bottle to follow. 🤣
View attachment 57067

My hi/lo batters. YES, I poured from these containers. No pitchers.
View attachment 57068

And, done, in literally 182 seconds. The Lollipop Swirl technique is SO much easier with a larger mouthed column mold, and when you're able to pour more batter with each pour. Even have a nice lollipop at the top. Of course, it also helped that there was no self-imposed "Monthly Challenge" anxiety! 😁
View attachment 57069

All tucked in for the night...
View attachment 57070
You’re trinity of sunflower, corn and lard is unique and peaking my interest! And you’re lollipop swirl is already looking beautiful 😍

😍😍😍

Can't wait to see Lollipop Ghost swirl!
Well, kinda have to, though. Better be doubly hesitant to unmould that one. Best wait until the soap would come out by itself, don't force anything; soap batter at times really sticks well to PP plastic. Particularly with your very soft recipe.

That's my people!
Yes, yes. MUST resist putting it into the oven lest we have a repeat of the melting mold! 🤣 I confess I did just put it on a heating mat though....

Random comment about “resisting.” My girlfriend told me today “You know, sometimes I look at your soap and I just want to take a bite out of it” 😆🤣 I suppose I take that as a compliment 🤷‍♂️
I think that's a very good justification for not making soap that looks like food. In fact, I believe in the EU it is not allowed for just that reason (link). And in homes with small children or people who have dementia, soap that looks like food would be something to avoid.

Why, one day my husband said to me he had to pull his hand back before plucking out some grated Fels Naptha soap & popping it into his mouth because it looked so much like grated cheddar cheese. If it hadn't been for the smell, he probably would have done. I never made laundry soap while he was at home after that.

Wahooo! The seed mat seems to have worked even on this tall and thick mold and this morning it looks as though we have achieved gel. I might actually be able to unmold this soap tomorrow rather than next week. :hippo: :hippo:

Wahooo! The seed mat seems to have worked even on this tall and thick mold and this morning it looks as though we have achieved gel. I might actually be able to unmold this soap tomorrow rather than next week. :hippo: :hippo:
I just recognized your soap molds! My very first Castile soap was in a Blue Bonnet ice cream container. They've changed a little bit since then, but still the same shape. It did make for some interesting shaped soaps.

I just recognized your soap molds! My very first Castile soap was in a Blue Bonnet ice cream container. They've changed a little bit since then, but still the same shape. It did make for some interesting shaped soaps.
Love my Blue Bonnet containers AND Ice cream! The lids snap tightly closed for a good 2-3 years, so I use them for many things.

3 color spoon swirl. The fragrance oil, soap temps or over SB had batter @ medium to thick trace faster than anticipated. It’s was an “almost” Castile (not ZNSC sadly) made with OO & a touch of castor. The mold was an empty half gallon 1/2 & 1/2 container. Also learned that cutting freehand is NOT my cup of tea. So bad!

Attachments

• 7A39A409-CA49-44DF-8D12-B6924C21EDE2.jpeg
    7A39A409-CA49-44DF-8D12-B6924C21EDE2.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Started chastising myself lately for complicated soap formulas created with my 🧪⚗️ science 🧠. Especially with a loaf of ZNSC fresh under my belt. Then… is see your post & realize the science is THE FUN 🤩! Gonna keep on keeping’ on! 🧼🧪
For Example 🧼 nicknamed “steak soap”, used SAP chart & math. Before learning SOOOO much on this forum. This soap was a HUGE hit with middle school teachers, their students & many others. Students said it should’ve smelled like pork vs sandalwood vanilla. Put in lyecalc now & learned 27/73. 😂

E056A5DE-15F0-4909-B3E5-C3658457F69A.jpeg

Last edited:
Started chastising myself lately for complicated soap formulas created with my 🧪⚗ science 🧠. Especially with a loaf of ZNSC fresh under my belt. Then… is see your post & realize the science is THE FUN 🤩! Gonna keep on keeping’ on! 🧼🧪
For Example 🧼 nicknamed “steak soap”, used SAP chart & math. Before learning SOOOO much on this forum. This soap was a HUGE hit with middle school teachers, their students & many others. Students said it should’ve smelled like pork vs sandalwood vanilla. Put in lyecalc now & learned 27/73. 😂

View attachment 59635
Yumm. Prosciutto. 😋😁

Indeed. One look and I imagined a butcher washing up with glee! View attachment 59636

I have decided that I really don't want to make any more soap that looks like bacon or meat of any sort. No matter how fab it may smell, the look really turns me off. I just spent some time shrink-wrapping lots of soap and was reminded of how some color & swirl combinations always turn out looking like meat. And then to re-batch and have that turn out looking like hamburger, yuck.

I still have no idea what I am going to do with the 4 cupcake soaps I have on hand. They were for a challenge we had here at SMF some time ago and it was fun creating them. But using them? I'm not sure how to use them due to the odd soap shape & numerous sharp edges of the decorative piping, and I certainly couldn't give them to kids who might decide to try and take a bite!

I have decided that I really don't want to make any more soap that looks like bacon or meat of any sort. No matter how fab it may smell, the look really turns me off. I just spent some time shrink-wrapping lots of soap and was reminded of how some color & swirl combinations always turn out looking like meat. And then to re-batch and have that turn out looking like hamburger, yuck.

I still have no idea what I am going to do with the 4 cupcake soaps I have on hand. They were for a challenge we had here at SMF some time ago and it was fun creating them. But using them? I'm not sure how to use them due to the odd soap shape & numerous sharp edges of the decorative piping, and I certainly couldn't give them to kids who might decide to try and take a bite!
So what I’m hearing is there’s a chance that I COULD reproduce my infamous “steak soap”. That’s Gr8 news! I’ll go ahead & allow my DH to use the last bar vs placing it into soap hall of fame. 😝

When I said the soap was a huge hit with the middle school students it’s because a bar was give to the middle school teacher, at her request. No soap was actually given to students, but they sure had a ton of fun looking & discussing.

I’m sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your 🧁 🧼 from SMF challenge. I too had a batch recently come out “meh” 😑, smells Gr8 but gonna have to be rebatched or used as a confetti 🧼.

Back