Grocery Store Soap Challenge Photo Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use rice water, but they don't carry rice. No jokin'!! They have TWO shelves of salsa, but no rice.
Oh goodness. Living there would be a big challenge for me. That explains why you and the hubby have a hydroponic garden in your home, yes? Taking is a'plenty where I live for just about any food item you could think of. It ain't called a "melting pot" for nothin'. Which is kind of why I've steered clear of the Grocery Store Soap Challenge. Except to live vicariously through everyone's scavenging activities to source ingredients.

P.S. But the traffic here is a bear to endure. So there's that...

Oh goodness. Living there would be a big challenge for me. That explains why you and the hubby have a hydroponic garden in your home, yes? Taking is a'plenty where I live for just about any food item you could think of. It ain't called a "melting pot" for nothin'. Which is kind of why I've steered clear of the Grocery Store Soap Challenge. Except to live vicariously through everyone's scavenging activities to source ingredients.

P.S. But the traffic here is a bear to endure. So there's that...
Online availability of products is so much more than it was 10 years ago! That and the fact that I can find most basics within a 30 mile radius makes it bearable. I do sometimes miss the "taking a'plenty" of our old digs in the DC area, but not the traffic - not that it's like CA's, but whew - what a mess!
ETA: Yes, actually that IS exactly why we have a hydro garden!

Here's our rush hour traffic where we live now... 😁

satmorningtrafficJune2017.jpg

Online availability of products is so much more than it was 10 years ago! That and the fact that I can find most basics within a 30 mile radius makes it bearable. I do sometimes miss the "taking a'plenty" of our old digs in the DC area, but not the traffic - not that it's like CA's, but whew - what a mess!

View attachment 56524
I grew up an hour and a half from Pennsylvania Amish country. There is a lot to be said for living simply and simply living.

The traffic here is maddening. I thought Boston was bad...and then I experienced LA traffic. At least we had the T back east. I’ve driven through DC. Very odd traffic patterns and no rhyme or reason to the roadway infrastructure. I do like walking around the city though. Little Easter eggs sprinkled throughout that reveal a city of mystery and symbolism.

ok, I had to join in the fun. I used some rendered chicken fat and bacon grease with extra lard, beef tallow I had rendered, coconut oil, and OO. I used a polystyrene dessert holder for a mold, so not really from the grocery store. Soaps are colored with powdered orange peel and turmeric. I did cheat and add some fragrance - helichrysum EO to the turmeric, verbena FO to the orange. I was worried about the chicken fat and bacon grease smell breaking through. I poured the extra in a mold I had made out of a little gift box.
84A59016-EB36-4008-8C58-C411D719B9B6.jpeg
9CC71DD9-5BCF-4775-97B4-1920A11EF19D.jpeg
07B401AC-B3D8-4479-A28E-F7DBE0542FE4.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 56524

Love it!

ok, I had to join in the fun. I used some rendered chicken fat and bacon grease with extra lard, beef tallow I had rendered, coconut oil, and OO. I used a polystyrene dessert holder for a mold, so not really from the grocery store. Soaps are colored with powdered orange peel and turmeric. I did cheat and add some fragrance - helichrysum EO to the orange, verbena FO to the turmeric. I was worried about the chicken fat and bacon grease smell breaking through. I poured the extra in a mold I had made out of a little gift box.
View attachment 56751
View attachment 56752
View attachment 56753
I love your little gift box mold! 😆

I'm more of a stalker than a talker in general when it comes to forums (sounds creepier than I intended), but I've had a lot of fun following this and the original grocery soap thread.

What a combo! I'm dying to know what it smells like?
Pretty soaps! :thumbs:
Ha yeah sounds... different. The helichrysum is citrusy - camphory, the verbena is floral - citrusy. I went light with both. I cleaned the fats as best I could but bacon fat is pretty persistent.
My mom, who was a child of the depression, saved chicken fat for making pies. Sounds disgusting but her pastry was very flakey. The freezer always had small yogurt containers labeled “CHIX FAT.” (She’s still very much alive but not making pies these days.) So, using the CHIX FAT was an homage to my dear mom. Waste not want not.

The helichrysum EO has a medicinal/not great smell. Pity, it was pricey.
Helichrysum EO is well-known for its benefits in skin care. As little as 1-5% in a carrier oil is plenty. I keep some handy in a serum bottle for various itchies, rash, bruising, healing. Honestly? I was shocked when I read you used it for scenting soap.
Faint.gif

Helichrysum EO is well-known for its benefits in skin care. As little as 1-5% in a carrier oil is plenty. I keep some handy in a serum bottle for various itchies, rash, bruising, healing. Honestly? I was shocked when I read you used it for scenting soap.
View attachment 56785
Hahaha oh my. Hope your tapestry is ok. 😄
Thanks for that info - I used a small amount, like a teaspoon.

Soaps are out. The helichrysum EO has a medicinal/not great smell. Pity, it was pricey. The verbena, with the orange, is nice. This was my first tallow soap and I like how hard they are right out of the mold.View attachment 56779View attachment 56780

You’re soap looks beautiful! It makes me SO happy to see all this experimenting. My favorite posts on this forum are usually experiments, unsure results, but a willingness to try/possibly fail and learn. Thank you @Vicki C

Back