Greetings!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cascader17

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a newbie to the world of soapmaking, and have become quite interested in making some homemade pine tar soap, using homemade pine tar. I'm struggling quite a bit with trying to maintain the pleasant campfire aroma of my tar when it is combined with lye water, and have come here to seek any insights as to how to avoid this issue. Thanks!

Welcome.gif

Hello Earlene, It is really not that difficult, so long as you don't mind putting together a campfire and stuffing some small pieces of pine wood into a tin can, and burying a 'catchment' can. Run the fire for a few hours around the can with the wood, and there should be pine tar in the other can. Youtube videos abound showing this process. The final pine tar result is not nearly as pure as the Auson brand, or any other vet grade brand, as it still contains phenolic compounds (and other impurities) that can be somewhat irritating to skin. Purifying the crude pine tar involves a lot of laboratory equipment. However, I am still keen on using the unpurified tar in soap, as this is how it was done originally.

Back