Greetings from The United Kingdom

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzySoapBox

Reaction score
Hi, I am Suzy. I have a new business in making and selling soap. I have been Soaping for about 2 years now, but just as a hobby though. I have a website and I also will be starting Outdoor Markets on Saturdays in my local town. We all have to start somewhere. Well I am glad to be here Hi to all.

Welcome :) I am newer to soaping than you but also in the UK (just!)

Isn't the stuff needed for the safety assessments a total nightmare?! I am no where near that stage but planning ahead for them already as I think I'll need the admin practice!

Hi

You dont have your address or phone number on your website - TS have advice is that you MUST have your address and contact number on your website.

Hi and welcome! Those are some gorgeous looking soaps. What is the minimum weight of you soap bars? In the US it's required to have that listed, I don't know if it is in the UK but it might help your customers. 3 oz? 6oz?

Having looked again, I'm confused by the "natural" statement when the majority of the soaps contain FOs [emoji17]

To be fair, there are plant-based FO's that are not synthetic. Would these qualify as natural? I don't know about EU regulations per se. Just asking.

Also 50% of the soaps on her website contain EO's, so I don't see the majority containing FO's. I am counting the doggie soap in the percentage.

That is one of the reasons why "natural" is such a flexible term that it is really a nonsense. We often consider EOs to be natural but they are rarely if ever found in those concentrations in nature. Also a cake can be made using natural ingredients, but is a cake "natural"? If a fragrance oil is MADE with natural ingredients, is it natural? Depends on how you define natural, of course

Welcome Suzy!

I love your stamp, so easy to see and sets your soaps appart from others : )

I am working towards getting my ducks in a row so I can be registered and have everything up to par so I can start to attend fairs to test the waters (not starting anything big, just so I am free to do whatever I want)

But gathering all the papers, recipes, ingredients, %`s etc. so I can send it to a lab for testing is a huge task and a lot of paperwork. And to decide which recepies to choose is really hard, I have so many favourites. How did you find this process?

Hope you come back and tell us a littlebit about your adventure : )

Welcome :) I am newer to soaping than you but also in the UK (just!)

Isn't the stuff needed for the safety assessments a total nightmare?! I am no where near that stage but planning ahead for them already as I think I'll need the admin practice!

Yes it is
a nightmare and I am only half way there I have only 6 bars I can sell At the moment. Do other countries have go through this?

Hi

You dont have your address or phone number on your website - TS have advice is that you MUST have your address and contact number on your website.

Thank you for pointing this out I will sort this out.

Hi and welcome! Those are some gorgeous looking soaps. What is the minimum weight of you soap bars? In the US it's required to have that listed, I don't know if it is in the UK but it might help your customers. 3 oz? 6oz?
My soap bars vary from 100g to 180g. I cut them by hand so there is no exact weight.

Welcome Suzy!

I love your stamp, so easy to see and sets your soaps appart from others : )

I am working towards getting my ducks in a row so I can be registered and have everything up to par so I can start to attend fairs to test the waters (not starting anything big, just so I am free to do whatever I want)

But gathering all the papers, recipes, ingredients, %`s etc. so I can send it to a lab for testing is a huge task and a lot of paperwork. And to decide which recepies to choose is really hard, I have so many favourites. How did you find this process?

Hope you come back and tell us a littlebit about your adventure : )

Time consuming as the testing took 3 months here in the UK so I was like :headbanging:

:bunny: Hi and Thank you all for the warm welcome. All advise here I will take on board:bathtub:

Back