Greetings from The Netherlands.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

Reaction score
Hi all, i just started trying to make soap, third attempt right now, with used veggie oil for house cleaning purposes.
Why? cause that's what i have around the house to use :)
I have made some biodiesel in the past , and wanted to try soap making too.

Tnx everyone! so far i learned ;
do not use wax baking paper for lining, the lye reacts with it (atleast it did with me)
after 24 hours the underside is still wet , get it out earlier and let it sit a while to evaporate.
don't use printed plastic bags as liner either , the lye transfers the graphics to the soap..

Hi Chris. Have you heard of Joosoap? If you don't, Google it. It's an organisation that upcycles used cooking oil from restaurants, turning it into soap they can use for cleaning. Circular oil-to-soap economy.

I'm very curious. How is it going with your soapmaking? Do you filter the oil any special way? How is the end product?

Tnx everyone! so far i learned ;
do not use wax baking paper for lining, the lye reacts with it (atleast it did with me)
after 24 hours the underside is still wet , get it out earlier and let it sit a while to evaporate.
don't use printed plastic bags as liner either , the lye transfers the graphics to the soap..
Do you mean 'bakpapier'? So far i've only used a silicone loaf mold, because my wood mold is for a large batch size. How did the lye react with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, bakpapier. i think the ly reacted with it because i had a lot of oil coming out of the batter once it was in. more every hour.
i filter using old clothes at the moment because i am testing my recipe. once that works , i'll filter down to 5 microns.maybe even leave charcoal in the oil a week to get rid of the smell.

Hi Chris. Have you heard of Joosoap? If you don't, Google it. It's an organisation that upcycles used cooking oil from restaurants, turning it into soap they can use for cleaning. Circular oil-to-soap economy.

I'm very curious. How is it going with your soapmaking? Do you filter the oil any special way? How is the end product?

i checked out the link, interesting , i'd love to make liquid soap for washing my car..
they do use more naoh than i did though. i'll have to try it their way.
i used 118 grams, they use 150 grams.
my soap is currently curing, at some point i'll buy a silicon mould too (and a stickblender)

yes, bakpapier. i think the ly reacted with it because i had a lot of oil coming out of the batter once it was in. more every hour.
i filter using old clothes at the moment because i am testing my recipe. once that works , i'll filter down to 5 microns.maybe even leave charcoal in the oil a week to get rid of the smell.
Yeah.. bakpapier didn't work for me either[emoji19] I'm now trying out broodpapier, though that might only be a thing in Belgium since I've never seen it in Holland. It's a bit thicker and more waxy. So far so good, but still need to test it with a cpop.

Yeah.. bakpapier didn't work for me either[emoji19] I'm now trying out broodpapier, though that might only be a thing in Belgium since I've never seen it in Holland. It's a bit thicker and more waxy. So far so good, but still need to test it with a cpop.
Sounds similar to kaaspapier, the paper the kaasboers use.

No kaaspapier generally has a plastic layer.. (or at least mine does, maybe you have a different kaasboer)

Problem is freezer paper doesn't exist here (or at least I have yet to find it) kaaspapier is regular paper with a thin layer of plastic. Is that what butcher paper is as well?

Broodpapier or boterhampapier I think is supposed to be an environmentally friendly alternative to ziploc sanwich bags. It's thicker than parchment paper and supposedly more air/waterproof so probably there's some wax on there. Thanks for the heads up about not using wax with soap @Misschief !

This is boterhampapier https://www.toppits.be/nl/Boterhampapier-2155.html I just read it's fat free, so I guess wax free? (I hope so..) It also sais it's good for freezing.. so hopefully it's similar to freezing paper.

Problem is freezer paper doesn't exist here (or at least I have yet to find it) kaaspapier is regular paper with a thin layer of plastic. Is that what butcher paper is as well?

No, butcher paper generally does not have a plastic coating. It's freezer paper that has the poly plastic coating. Here is additional information about the difference between the two: http://www.oren-intl.com/blog/bid/2...rence-Between-Butcher-Paper-and-Freezer-Paper

So I believe that your kaaspapier is what we call Freezer paper.

you mean kraft papier ? that's what i get when i google broodpapier.
Hmm.. I'm not sure, it looks different but it might work[emoji5] and I messed up, apparently it's boterhampapier not broodpapier[emoji85]

Latest posts

Back