Greetings from Culver City, CA

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, there were a few tiny bubbles and one or two of them seemed "shinier", with the shine (again very small) dragged down. I thought it might be dragged down from the section on the top that appeared greasy/shiny? So I should just let it cure and next time soap much cooler. It is super soft, is that the OO?

Thank you, seriously. I really appreciate your help.

I just went to their website, my hands are itching now. This really borders on obsession. :) I'd rather buy soap stuff than shoes.

Going to have to get a tub and remember to do that from now on. Such a good idea, especially when you think about how big a mess that would be on everything. Great tip!

Awesome, thank you that is very generous of you! I have a friend who lives off of Benner, next time I head over there will send you a message.

Off the cuff, that is full water in the recipe and the crack is just overheating which I read is more common with full water. This time of the year, LA, any amount of insulation could probably cause overheating. Your recipe looks good although I didn't run it in soap calc yet. I think your soap would be perfectly usable. Also if you rebatch those precious EOs may not survive.

ETA: I started my reply about an hour ago when hubby needed dinner, I see so much happened here between then and now. Atleast I was saying what others were saying

Last edited:
Hi Seawolfe-

Yeah more So.Cal Soapers! There should be a club.

Thanks for the tip, I really appreciate all of the guidance that I'm getting.

I was soaping pretty late last night (because it was so hot in my place and the humidity is insane)and I wrapped it up and went to bed. Clearly should not have done that. Won't make that mistake next time and will be sure to soap cooler.

Thank you! I also make candy and heat and humidity cause problems with it, makes perfect sense that it would also impact soap.

You are so right about the EO's, they would disappear if I rebatched. Thankfully based on the input from each of you I think I'm okay to cure it. Will definitely work on the temperature in my work area and soap at much cooler temps without insulating.

Thank you for taking the time to share!

Hello from Clearwater, FL

I have been soaping for about five or six months. I enjoy cp as well as m&p. We had so much rain here during the last few weeks that soaping helped to wait for the sunshine. Some batches turned out well...others did not. You know what they say about floral scents causing the batch to sieze...it does! There is a lot to learn. This forum will be good to learn by.:p

Momsta, looks like overheating to me, too. Also, b/c I don't like partial gel I either CPOP (40 ms to an hour at 150 and then take it out) or, it is something that is likely to get tricky in the oven (lots of sugar, CO or or the like) put the soap in the freezer for a bit and then the fridge. I don't know if living in LA is helpful w/the comparison thing, since those are both extremes, but it does make the soap go one way or another.

Also, if you want to try gelling w/o an oven, Home Depot sells small styrofoam coolers for about a buck, you could try towel wrapping and sticking the soaps in them ...

ETA: I just took a closer look at your recipe, I was thinking maybe the amount of sugar made it over heat, but you had about 2TB w/around 50-55-ish oz of oils, right? Sorry, just tried to keep a vague count in my head. That is not an outrageous amount, although I use less. The only other thing I could think of was the jasmine e.o., I wondered if the floral component could kicked in (I don't use jasmine e.o. b/c it is too expensive in soap so not sure from personal experience).

The good news is, is that that looks like a good basic recipe, so once you cut it up into bars and it cures it will (a) look nice and (b) be a good and good-feeling soap.

Last edited:
Thank you not_ally! Cool to know that there are soapers in this area. Would love to have someone to talk soap with...my husband says I have soap on the brain.

Maybe you can answer a question for me. Is there a local place to buy butters? I have been looking for butters to avoid shipping costs. I'm glad to drive where I have to. There is a health food store in Culver City where I can get Cocoa (very expensive though) butter and shea in really small amounts. Would love to find a place in L.A. or surrounding areas.

Just thought I'd chime in, I'm from the Sacramento area so it's pretty hard for me to find a decent price on butters and things in store. I've probably spent at least a few hundred on shipping now. Amazon has some decent priced shea butter and if you have prime it's free shipping. Last time I got 3 lbs for around 15. I haven't had any issues soaping with it.

Back