Greetings from CA!!! :) from ItsMeRoRo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmeroro

Reaction score
Hello and greetings! My name is Rachelle (itsmeroro) and I have recently caught the soap bug! I have (at this point) yet to make a batch... and am working on some recipes and still gathering all my stuff together.

I was born and raised in CA - (sorry, there are not beaches and palm trees everywhere in CA! LOL)... Hubby and I have been married for almost 12 years and live in a city called Paso Robles. We are surrounded by lovely vineyards. Paso is quite a charming town!

I hope to meet a lot of new people and learn all I can about making all natural CP Soaps. My recipe list may he placing the cart before the horse, but that makes it more interesting (I think!) My hopes are to develop a full time business from this venture.

Cheers! and I look forward to chatting... RoRo

Hello from Canada, Roro! I spent 6 months researching recipes before I made my first batch. That was 7 years ago, and it is so much fun....thought I'd stop after 5 years or so, but now it looks not to be. Customers are finding me from far and near. Don't be afraid. Go for it!

Woodi said:
Hello from Canada, Roro! I spent 6 months researching recipes before I made my first batch. That was 7 years ago, and it is so much fun....thought I'd stop after 5 years or so, but now it looks not to be. Customers are finding me from far and near. Don't be afraid. Go for it!

Hey Woodi! :) Thanks for the kind words! Its nice to meet you! My poor DH - he rolls his eyes everytime I get a new idea -- heck, is there any other OCD soapmakers/knitters/lampwork creators/photographers ... out there too? Lol.

So what would be the best advice anyone gave you when it came to making soap?

:) Take Care,

Rachelle (RoRo)

Hmmmm, best advice.....lemme think, cuz I've received a lot from other soapmakers over the years.

for me what works best: here are a few:

- Never soap when I'm rushed or in a bad mood, cuz I mess up.
- Put music on when soaping, whatever makes you happy and relaxed.
- Do what you love, don't worry so much what other people are making.
- Have an extra stick blender on hand in case yours dies in the middle of a batch.
- Make sure your scale is accurate by testing it with a one-pound box or bottle of something periodically.
- Keep a bottle of vinegar handy in case of lye burns. It neutralizes the lye.
- wear rubber gloves at all times, protect your eyes with glasses of some sort, never soap in bare feet.
- Let your soap pots sit overnight if possible, then wash them next day, when the soap is not so caustic. Wear those rubber gloves!
- make simple recipes first, to get a feeling of confidence. After you have a few hundred bars prettily sitting on a shelf, then you can attempt a swirl or milk soaps, or another method.

Or: just forget all the above and have fun. If things go wrong, run to the computer, dial up this forum and ask for help. I've done that many times and received great support from many wonderful, helpful soapmakers.

and did I mention the most important thing?.....HAVE FUN!

Hi Roro. I know that husband eyeroll well, when it comes to new projects! I do soap, photography, raise Dexter cattle and Nigerian Dwarf goats, oil painting, basketweaving, leatherwork and taxidermy.

As Woodi said, just do what you love!

Hey Woodi, soaping in barefeet never occured to me, but I can see how that would be hazardous. Are you speaking from experience?

Chalk Creek said:
Hi Roro. I know that husband eyeroll well, when it comes to new projects! I do soap, photography, raise Dexter cattle and Nigerian Dwarf goats, oil painting, basketweaving, leatherwork and taxidermy.

As Woodi said, just do what you love!

Hey Woodi, soaping in barefeet never occured to me, but I can see how that would be hazardous. Are you speaking from experience?

:) I know just what you mean! I am a Cali girl who was raised on a ranch... and my husband and I raise and show miniature dachshunds too! He is not as "scattered" as I am, but I look for the things in life which inspire me - I guess I should have been born in a different time - but LOVE ALL of the things I do - he would rather I pick just "one"...

LOL roro

Latest posts

Back