Greetings from a little town no one seems to know exists

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinlee

Reaction score
Because I don't share a lot of information I won't tell you where but I will say I'm from GA. I'm from a little town nobody seems to know about if I do tell you. I make my own soap because I don't like garbage going on my family's skin. Skin is the largest organ we have and it takes in what we put on it. I don't like to use poisons and chemicals although I do use essential oils after doing a lot of reading and researching and diluting. I want to crawl into a hole somewhere and hide to keep from barging in on other people's opinions when they start talking about ingesting EOs and even using them neat. My soaps are ugly because I rarely color them and when I do I usually just have a single color because of the ingredients. I would like to color my soaps and make them pretty but I haven't taken the time to learn how to color them using natural ingredients without having adverse reactions somewhere else. I often sound opinionated because I am but I have room to hear your opinions too. My opinions change when they need to and I learn from other people who are smarter than I am all of the time. That is the great thing about reading posts from soapers who have been doing this for any length of time, everyone knows something that I don't.

That's about everything worth knowing. This is a great forum. I've been lurking a while.

Our skin might be our biggest organ, if it really is an organ but it does not take in everything we put on it. It is very adept at protecting us against harmful substances. It our skin absorbed everything we would most likely still not be on the right side of the grass. "The Biggest Organ phrase" has been floating around the internet for a few yrs now. Instead of stating such please research the role our skin plays in protecting us

Hello & welcome! I am in SC which also has a ton of cities no one has ever heard of - I have been in SC for 25 years and I still learn of towns I never knew existed.

Our skin might be our biggest organ, if it really is an organ but it does not take in everything we put on it. It is very adept at protecting us against harmful substances. It our skin absorbed everything we would most likely still not be on the right side of the grass. "The Biggest Organ phrase" has been floating around the internet for a few yrs now. Instead of stating such please research the role our skin plays in protecting us
Actually, I have not read that on the internet. I am not as uneducated as I try to come across online. I have my share of education behind me and your skin is not only an organ, it absorbs quite a bit more than you think it does. On the other hand, you are correct in stating that it protects us. That is the function of our skin. It is our covering or put another way, our skin is our earth suit that we walk around in.

When I took Anatomy & Physiology when I was preparing for my nursing degree, the skin was called the largest organ in the human body, so this is not a fad phrase. It is acceped medical science which actually pre-dates the internet.

Here is one of many links with information about the organs in the human body. This one in particular is about the integumentary system, which includes the organ we know as 'skin':
https://biologydictionary.net/integumentary-system/

This link also gives some detail about the purpose and function of this system of organs.

Tinlee, welcome and you have me wondering which town in Georgia. I love visiting Georgia. So far my favorite place in Georgia is Senoia, but even though it's small, it is pretty well known to a lot of folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zem
Welcome to the forum. My daughter and her family used to live in Ellenwood, GA. I found the people in Georgia very friendly.

When I took Anatomy & Physiology when I was preparing for my nursing degree, the skin was called the largest organ in the human body, so this is not a fad phrase. It is acceped medical science which actually pre-dates the internet.

Here is one of many links with information about the organs in the human body. This one in particular is about the integumentary system, which includes the organ we know as 'skin':

This link also gives some detail about the purpose and function of this system of organs.

Tinlee, welcome and you have me wondering which town in Georgia. I love visiting Georgia. So far my favorite place in Georgia is Senoia, but even though it's small, it is pretty well known to a lot of folks.
I do understand that but the internet has made it into something that absorbs every bad thing out there

Last edited:
Hey and welcome!

The skin allows far less to absorb than people think it does. The ever sloughing skin cells carry much away. I am not talking about medications intended to be absorbed. Those are mixed with special oils that will carry the medications through the skin, I am talking about the creams, lotions, and other potions people apply to their skin. That stuff sloughs off all day and all night.

Hello, welcome to not lurking. Lol I lurked for quite a while before I posted too. I have only driven through GA and if I remember correctly it was at 2am. Anyway I am from OK, and welcome again.

Welcome to the forum. I have decided not to lurk so much, too. I found a phone app that lets me read on the go, so it’s easier to participate. How close are you to me? I’m in Upstate SC. ~Carol

AWWWWW! I know Senoia quite well. Senoia has become quite popular due to the Walking Dead. Thankfully it has retained its charm.

Welcome to the forum. I have decided not to lurk so much, too. I found a phone app that lets me read on the go, so it’s easier to participate. How close are you to me? I’m in Upstate SC. ~Carol
I'm a bit of a drive from you but I pass through SC on the way to visit family in NC
Hi from an unknown town in New York :)
Millie, I luv NY!

Hello, welcome to not lurking. Lol I lurked for quite a while before I posted too. I have only driven through GA and if I remember correctly it was at 2am. Anyway I am from OK, and welcome again.
Thanks! OK is a great state! I've never been there but I have spoken with many people from your wonderful state.

Hey and welcome!

The skin allows far less to absorb than people think it does. The ever sloughing skin cells carry much away. I am not talking about medications intended to be absorbed. Those are mixed with special oils that will carry the medications through the skin, I am talking about the creams, lotions, and other potions people apply to their skin. That stuff sloughs off all day and all night.
Skin serves its purpose both to protect and to allow through. We have to be aware of what we are putting on our skin though. For instance, rubbing alcohol is absorbed as well as evaporated. I use this as an example because personally, I will not use rubbing alcohol on my skin. It is not safe to ingest, it is absorbed directly even though it does evaporate. This means I will not use it and will even make my own sanitizer. I do use rubbing alcohol in some products in my home. It is a great bug killer. Lotions are emulsified and the oils hold the ingredients both giving the skin more time to absorb and preventing absorption in some cases. My statement was more that we cannot be indiscriminate about what we put on our skin. That is what got me involved in this wonderful art. We should know what we are putting on our skin and make informed choices. Should your choices be the same as mine? Not necessarily, no. When we purchase from the store, we can make some choices but it is often a lesser of two evils kind of scenario. When we make our own, we choose what goes in our end product.

Skin serves its purpose both to protect and to allow through. We have to be aware of what we are putting on our skin though. For instance, rubbing alcohol is absorbed as well as evaporated. I use this as an example because personally, I will not use rubbing alcohol on my skin. It is not safe to ingest, it is absorbed directly even though it does evaporate. This means I will not use it and will even make my own sanitizer. I do use rubbing alcohol in some products in my home. It is a great bug killer. Lotions are emulsified and the oils hold the ingredients both giving the skin more time to absorb and preventing absorption in some cases. My statement was more that we cannot be indiscriminate about what we put on our skin. That is what got me involved in this wonderful art. We should know what we are putting on our skin and make informed choices. Should your choices be the same as mine? Not necessarily, no. When we purchase from the store, we can make some choices but it is often a lesser of two evils kind of scenario. When we make our own, we choose what goes in our end product.

Tinlee this (hi and welcome to SMF!) is a topic I'm trying to thoroughly understand. Would you mind sharing the sources of info you have learned from? Especially if you have something on the cell's protein doorways and the molecular size of individual constituents in common soap products. (Those proteins only let in the exact molecular size and polarity.....which is one big factor in why things don't gain cell entry)

Many things aren't aborsbed by the skin, and those that are aren't necessarily a hazard because of the wonderful work of the liver and kidneys. But I'm a long way from knowing what is stored in the body (except for heavy metals). I need to make some new friends in the science field!

Last edited:
lenarenee, one of the things I loved about my favorite college biolgy professor was how he would spend an entire lecture teaching us a particular theory and the reasoning behind it, the convincing arguments and practices developed based on that theory and early studies, the subsequent studies, and continuing changes to accepted practices based on those, only to end the lecture with, 'and then the theory was disproven' and found to be based on inaccurate information.

His next lecture was built around the theory that was formulated based on the new information that had disproved the previous theory. And again at the end of the lecture, it was disproved. I don't recall how many lectures followed this same format, but there were several, before he reached 'modern' (at the time) accepted biological information. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey of how we got where we were at that time. And he was a wonderful teacher.

The moral of the story is that biological science is not static. What I learned on the last day of class may already have been disproved and replaced with newer information. That's one of the reasons doctors and nurses are required to continue their education in order to keep up with new and pertinent information.

In any case, I highly encourage you to learn as much as you can, but also be aware that old information may actually be inaccurate (not because whoever presented it was necessarily wrong, but because they didn't have all the facts yet). One of these days I'd actually like to go back to school and learn what I missed since then.

lenarenee, one of the things I loved about my favorite college biolgy professor was how he would spend an entire lecture teaching us a particular theory and the reasoning behind it, the convincing arguments and practices developed based on that theory and early studies, the subsequent studies, and continuing changes to accepted practices based on those, only to end the lecture with, 'and then the theory was disproven' and found to be based on inaccurate information.

His next lecture was built around the theory that was formulated based on the new information that had disproved the previous theory. And again at the end of the lecture, it was disproved. I don't recall how many lectures followed this same format, but there were several, before he reached 'modern' (at the time) accepted biological information. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey of how we got where we were at that time. And he was a wonderful teacher.

The moral of the story is that biological science is not static. What I learned on the last day of class may already have been disproved and replaced with newer information. That's one of the reasons doctors and nurses are required to continue their education in order to keep up with new and pertinent information.

In any case, I highly encourage you to learn as much as you can, but also be aware that old information may actually be inaccurate (not because whoever presented it was necessarily wrong, but because they didn't have all the facts yet). One of these days I'd actually like to go back to school and learn what I missed since then.

It sounds like you're under the impression my information is outdated? It's only recently that I've taken any health sciences in college, and my interest in skin issues started just a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back