Greetings and Salutations from sunny Seattle!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleMartin

Embracing the wonderful madness of soap!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously though, as of the time of this post, the rainy season has started.

I'm Martin the Mad Scientist! My wife, Anna, and I are starting a business making soaps, oils and balms. (More on that later.) I've worked a number of jobs in my life with nearly 20 years in programming and some graphic design (both mainly focused on web dev), nearly 10 years in the service industry (restaurant and retail), and side work typically involving manual labor like remodel, painting, and demo work. Several years ago I began developing severe tendonitis in my arms (wrist to shoulder) which led to my inability to work much, resulting in loss of insurance and the inability to get surgery. Which leads me here.

I took to an interest in soap making because I have problem skin and can't use most soaps and detergents. Also because I started getting into wet shaving and decided I could design a shaving soap that would be more affordable than many of the options currently on the market without sacrificing quality. Also also, I'm breaking up with Ivory and making my own bath soap. It's been a long love affair, Ivory soap and I, but it is time. I have matured now and realize that I need a soap that knows how to be gentle yet cleansing, hard and long lasting, not too slippery and with beautiful bubbles. I'm sorry Ivory, but it truly is you, not me. Your chemistry is no longer as appealing to me as it once was. I'm going with natural oils and additives coupled with lye as my new standard for a good relationship. But I digress...

So now Anna and I are prototyping several soaps and a few oils. We hope to be prototyping some balms really soon.We have decided to work in all natural ingredients. The obvious exception to this, of course, being sodium hydroxide lye. I'm looking into making my own potassium hydroxide, but using store bought for now.
So there it is, I’m a geek and loving every minute of it :D Soaping has become my passion and I am in it for the long haul!

I am sure that my homemade soap is much more expensive to make than soap from the store. I make soap mostly as a hobby and only sell to friends of the family or by word of mouth. The soap making market is a crowded one with a lot of competition. Unless you are willing to spend a lot of time at craft fairs and markets, it may not pay off. That being said, "Welcome to the forum.":)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! And I second lsg....I do have a business but it's taken years to get to where I am. Markets and other venues are over populated with soap these days. At least in our area. Everyone thinks they can get rich quick making soap.....not so much! It's a lot of time and work.

Back