Greetigs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squyars

Reaction score
Hello,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Michelle. I live in Williamsburg, VA. Very much a newbie at soap making. I became interested in making my own soap because I have terrible eczema and dermatitis which is worsened by all the cleansers and detergents I use.

Just made my first cp batch this morning. Keeping fingers crossed that it works out well.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks for letting me join the group.

Michelle

I used a basic recipe from "The Everything Soap making" book. It was only a one pound batch made with olive and coconut oils, with a tablespoon of castor to superfat. I was going to make it unscented, but last minute decided to add some vanilla and sweet orange EOs.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Michelle

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Welcome and I hope your first batch turns out well!

Many people find that unscented soaps that are high in olive oil and made with goat's milk to provide relief for problem skin.

Can anyone tell me which type of olive oil I should be using? I ended up using mostly plain olive oil, with a small amount of extra virgin because I ran out of the other. Will it make any major difference?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I use 100% pure (I guess plain) olive oil. I don't think there is much of a difference which olive oil you use other than cost.

Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum where you will feel "at home" among all these friendly helpful members.
Cheers,
Marianne

Welcome to the forum!

Wrt your OO question, there are differences between the various grades of OO, with more unsaponifiables in EVOO (which is from the first pressing of the olives) than other grades. Whether or not this makes a big difference to the qualities of the soap is up to the individual to decide - but I haven't seen a dramatic benefit using EVOO. So I generally use pomace, because the color is less green (which means that I can achieve a lighter colored soap) and its less expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Back