Green spots in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docview

Reaction score
Hi, I made a batch of soap after a while. Due to work I unmolded them after two days instead of one.
Purchased Palm/Palmolien oil from a different source this time. A bit of sugar remained undissolved.

Ingredients-
37% Olive pomace
19% Coconut
29% Palm
4% Castor
11% Rice bran

What does these spots signify?

IMG_20210217_105317.jpg

Thanks

It's hard to say for sure, but my guess is the green parts will eventually turn color to match the yellow/gold color of the outer edges.

The mottling may come from very slow cooling of the soap. In other words, it's an example of what many people call "glycerin rivers" and what I call "streaking and mottling." If so, it's an esthetic issue.

Next time you ask for help, please provide ALL of the ingredients in weights, including water and additives. It's hard to give good advice with just a list of fats in percentages.

Please also be aware that palm oil isn't necessarily the same thing as palmolein. Palm olein is what is left behind when "palm stearin" is removed from palm oil. A soap made with palmolein will be higher in oleic acid and lower in stearic and palmitic acids than the equivalent soap made with palm. That means the palmolein soap will probably dissolve a bit faster in water and not last quite as long in the bath.

Thanks for your reply.

In my country Palm oil is not easily available. I think supplier has given me Palmolien since it didn't solidify in cooler temperature.

Full ingredient list is attached. I used homemade oat milk & added it to oil before mixing lye. Mixed sugar in oil instead of mixing in water. Some of the sugar granules didn't dissolve & turned brown when I tried to heat oils. I'm sensitive to fragrance & used few drops of orange oil to mask smell of oils I used.

I generally keep laundry soap in refrigerator overnight. Should I keep bath soap in refrigerator for an hour or two?

I'll replace the percentage of Palmolien oil with Pomace oil in next attempt -
66% Pomace oil
20% Coconut oil
10% Rice bran oil
4% Castor oil

'Hard' oils are difficult to procure in my region.

Attachments

• IMG_20210217_191612.jpg
    IMG_20210217_191612.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 7
For a high oleic soap like this one, I would use less water to make the soap. Try a 33% to 35% lye concentration instead of the 29% you used. Reducing the water content will reduce the chance the soap will show this mottling. Less water will also help the soap firm up faster in the mold.

Do you mean you refrigerate the soap while it is saponifying? Or later to get the soap out of the mold? Not sure what you mean.

In any case, other people will have to give their advice about refrigerating soap. I don't do this.

Latest posts

Back