Green soap that isn't green

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
Yep, not green.. Let me show you how I got to that.

Inspired by all the green threads by @KiwiMoose, @szaza and @KiwiSoap, and needing to try my not-so-newly-arrived-anymore green clay.. I set out to make myself green soap.

Mind you, this isn't my first green soap, but it is the first one in which I colored the whole batch with moringa, which, belatedly, I realized I haven't done before. I've used moringa in swirls, but never in solid soap.

I think I should mention that my home made moringa powder isn't as green as what I've seen soapers use. There's a pic here of what it looked like freshly ground, but now it's a darker, duller kind of green. I'm thinking I should get myself new powder..

I thought if I used enough green things I should get a nice shade so I also added green clay and tulsi powder into this batch. See how pretty it was at trace
IMG_20190702_110839.jpg
And it went tumbling down the hill from there lol

About 10mins into the cook this is what I discovered when I stirred, which some of you might have already seen
IMG_20190701_161418.jpg
And just like Jack, this soap broke its crown and spilled out dog with diarrhea poop hahaha
IMG_20190702_110944.jpg
Yep, you guys just had to have that image didn't ya? Lols

I know, I know y'all are saying show us the soap.. I just have to say that I added titanium dioxide to the whole batch to see what shade it'll lighten up to, coz I really didn't want more brown soap.

And finally, the soap. Some of em, at least. Tried my hand at staging soap but I definitely need more practice lol

Pity it didn't turn out the way I wanted.. It's probably one of the smoothest HP pours I ever managed at only 2.8 water. Check out the mini samples and the end piece on the right, how smooth they are.
_20190702_112532.JPG

Looking at the picture I can't really say what color they are lol but in person they look like sand with dark flecks. A lot like how the sides of a smooth sandcastle look like lol... Thanks for reading!

Nice soap - but it ain't green. ;)

Your photo is nicely staged, and the soap is very smooth! You're a pretty good HPer @Dawni !
Awww thanks love!

Now that the baby is older I have more time to stage soap. I plan on practicing with lighting and backgrounds, with your photos as inspo, so thanks for the compliment :)

Told ya it isn't green lol

Good job!
I would be very happy with that shade. Coloring soap is a challenge for me. Once in awhile I get lucky.

Aww, bless ya Dawn! That first green is supreme, and while the final colour has a tauntingly green cast to it (esp that far right bar, or maybe it's the lighting?) it ain't green. To be fair, neither are my green soaps, so we both learnt something! (One of my Greens is still hanging on by it's fingertips, another is slipping away .. I might do an update this weekend)

Thank you for sharing!

I feel ya @Dawni! I've also been getting brown in stead of green (esp with matcha). The bar on the right does look like a lovely shade of green in that lighting[emoji6] and those are very smooth hp's! Good job! [emoji106]

Maybe not the green you wanted but I think they look great Dawni! I tried my hand at HP a couple of times...it did NOT go well. Yours are the bomb!:dance:
Thank you! I love HP.. Keep trying, there's lots of tips around the forum ;)
Good job!
I would be very happy with that shade. Coloring soap is a challenge for me. Once in awhile I get lucky.
I'll show you a pic of it in bright light.. I like it too, just not what I thought it'd be hehe.. Thanks :)
Aww, bless ya Dawn! That first green is supreme, and while the final colour has a tauntingly green cast to it (esp that far right bar, or maybe it's the lighting?) it ain't green. To be fair, neither are my green soaps, so we both learnt something! (One of my Greens is still hanging on by it's fingertips, another is slipping away .. I might do an update this weekend)

Thank you for sharing!
To think there's so much green around us n it's so hard to get lol. I always look forward to your updates :)
I feel ya @Dawni! I've also been getting brown in stead of green (esp with matcha). The bar on the right does look like a lovely shade of green in that lighting[emoji6] and those are very smooth hp's! Good job! [emoji106]
Thank you! The key is Dory... Just keep stirring lol. This was done in about 25mins in the pot. I only left it alone for the first 10mins, stirred for about 5, left alone another 5, stirred last 5 and turned the pot off to add the remaining hot coconut milk, SF, TD in this case, and fragrance.

I love your soaps Dawn. You make HP soaps I can only dream of. I don’t think you will have any luck with any of the green plant greens holding up in HP. The green pigment in Moringa, and most other plants and algae, is chlorophyll, which is very heat sensitive. It starts to degrade in the range of 140 - 170 F. Spirulina has a different photosynthetic pigment called phycocyanin. Maybe that would work for you.

I love your soaps Dawn. You make HP soaps I can only dream of. I don’t think you will have any luck with any of the green plant greens holding up in HP. The green pigment in Moringa, and most other plants and algae, is chlorophyll, which is very heat sensitive. It starts to degrade in the range of 140 - 170 F. Spirulina has a different photosynthetic pigment called phycocyanin. Maybe that would work for you.
Thank you.. Spirulina is next on my list :)
Nice soaps @Dawni - maybe not the green of your dreams, but very pretty!
Thank you!

How is the not green soap holding up after a few days? I just remembered I once had a scare when I was cpop'ing soap colored with wheatgrass as it turned black, but as soon as it came out the oven and cooled it turned green again..
Here's the evidence
Before putting it in the oven
IMG_20170911_140459.jpeg

Panic attack!
IMG_20170911_144153.jpeg

And after cooling down
IMG_20170911_155119.jpeg

Wow I'd panic too if I got that lol

It's most definitely brown after two days lol I think this shows a better color than my first post..
IMG_20190704_190527.jpg

Wow. There even seems to be a tinge of red now! Or are my eyes deceiving me?

Latest posts

Back