Green colourant?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wanting to try matcha, moringa and pandan.. but haven't had the time

Go for it, Kiwi! And good luck! ;)

From my notes on spirulina (Note: *Unfortunately, the picture accompanying this info is no longer accessible):
SOURCE: http://learn2soap.com/?p=10
"Spirulina is a blue green algae. It contains loads of protein, vitamins, minerals and amino acids. *Here it is used in a cold processed soap recipe which produces a white soap bar. 1/2 teaspoon of Spirulina was used per pound of oils in this soap recipe. The soap is a bit dark, but the lather is still creamy and white. A hint of blue may be seen when the soap is first cut into bars, but that hint of blue quickly disappears. What you end up with is green soap. And the green color of the spirulina seems to last a very long time."
That last statement seems to contradict most everyone else who say it fades. Here's hoping it sticks.

This is the direct link to that post in case someone doesn't want to advance a page or some other post in the thread gets deleted.
Earlene, do tell... how do you link directly to the post??? And,
Thanks.gif

Here you go, Zany:

1. Click on the number of the specific post - in the upper right-hand corner of the post. See image:

Link to Post_001.JPG
Your post above is #47 right now, so there it is. When you click on it you get a pop-up box.

2. Copy the link from the pop-up box. See image:
Link to Post_002.JPG

Paste that as you would with any post. And here it is:

Link to your post.

been quietly following this thread, and ordered some green oxide as a result. I've not been happy with french green clay, it just gives me a grey colour

SO here's my aloe and spirulina soap. Freshly cut - will keep you updated on colour morphing.
I coloured the entire batch with turquoise and yellow mica ( to make the green)
I then split off about 1/3 for the bottom portion to which I added a bit more of the above micas, plus a tsp of spirulina powder and a smidge of charcoal.
IMG_1058.jpeg

SO here's my aloe and spirulina soap. Freshly cut - will keep you updated on colour morphing.
I coloured the entire batch with turquoise and yellow mica ( to make the green)
I then split off about 1/3 for the bottom portion to which I added a bit more of the above micas, plus a tsp of spirulina powder and a smidge of charcoal.
View attachment 39385

Gorgeous, KiwiMoose. Perfect color choices.

Nice color. With the micas in there, even if the spirulina fades you should still have a nice color. It will be interesting to see how it does over time. Pretty soaps.

Nice color. With the micas in there, even if the spirulina fades you should still have a nice color. It will be interesting to see how it does over time. Pretty soaps.
That's the plan Dibbles. Spirulina is really just label appeal more than anything else. And at the amount I use in a batch - my little jar of powder will probably do about 15 batches or more :)

P.S. all this discussion of natural green colorants and my recollection of how we process seawater samples for chlorophyll concentration has driven me to start a little research project on the sensitivity of various plant pigments to temperature, light, pH and any other major variables I happen to come across. For example, in the lab we extract plant chlorophyll (and another pigment called phaeophytin) from marine algal samples using a solvent, measure the color intensity to get concentration, add an acid and measure again. The acid destroys the chlorophyll, leaving only the phaeophytin, which is then subtracted out to get the chlorophyll concentration. It was the part of the process that involves obliterating the chlorophyll that got me thinking. As sensitive as chlorophyll is to low pH, the color stability of many natural greens in soap batter suggests that chlorophyll is not very sensitive to high pH. You will be happy to know that food scientists have also shown this in many experiments. :thumbs: It also caught my attention that the critical temperatures for chlorophyll degradation in some of the experiments were in the range of 140F to 170F, the temp range CP soaps with 33% lye concentration are in while they’re going through saponification and/or gel. Differences in color stability of various natural plant pigments can be predicted based on chemical structure. I’m going to start making a table and if and when I finish it, I will report back.

I also learned that consumer demand is driving the food industry to research ways to make stable natural green colorants for edible products. Green is one of the most in demand colors and also one of the most challenging. They’re talking about microencapsulating chlorophyll. Maybe whatever they come up with will also work in soap!

How about this approach for selling soaps colored with parsley, matcha tea, comfrey or your other favorite green colorant? “This soap is made with natural colorant X. Store away from light until ready to use and then expect the beautiful color to last for up to X months if kept out of direct sunlight.” I would buy that! :)

Latest posts

Back