Green colored soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mynamenic

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to soap making and I'm really interested in making a "savon de marseille", thing is they don't use colorants and yet the color is a very pleasant dark green! But when I mix my oils with the lye, it turn yellowish then few days later it gets brighter. How do they do it?

Not sure what you tried - but definitely use EVOO ( as dark as you can get it) and French green clay. I'm still not quite sure how they get it so dark without any colourants.
I do use EVOO, as far as I know they don't use colorants, just pure vegetable oils.
Not sure if I can find French green clay in my country, but I do have Sicilian Green Clay (for external use).

I had to look up what exactly is inside Savon de Marseille. If you want to stay faithful to the original recipe, you would need to resort to EVOO as the colourant. I haven't heard from olive oils classified by colour intensity (maybe there is such a thing out there?)
Aleppo soap (a close relative to Marseille soap) uses unrefined laurel berry oil. Some qualities of this are indeed bright green. You might also extract/macerate green herbs/plant parts to get some green colour into soap. I had good success with pandan leaves, yerba mate and spirulina, others have used parsley, spinach, or anything else from the comprehensive list of plant-based colourants.

But don't expect that plant green (chlorophyll) will be overly long-living, it is always somewhat prone to fading (especially bad for OO-based soaps that need long curing times). Mineral pigments are more lasting. If you like the colour of your Sicilian clay, use it!

For a nice olive green I once infused bay leaves in olive oil to make soap. It is the same as the bay leaf used in cooking.

Laurus nobilis
is known by many names – bay, laurel, sweet bay, true laurel, laurel tree, and Grecian laurel. Its fragrant leaves are pointed, oval, and shiny, with a hint of gold. In the wild, the bay can grow as tall as ten meters, but typically they reach between one and three meters when cultivated

I buy my herbs & spices here: https://www.herbco.com/

Does the bay laurel berry oil contribute to the final color at all?
I use bay laurel berry oil at 12% to make Aleppo Soap (type) along with olive oil. It is quite green when unmolded. For whatever reason, the color fades to tan during the cure stage. :confused:
That experience is consistent among soapers who make Aleppo.

I use bay laurel berry oil at 12% to make Aleppo Soap (type) along with olive oil. It is quite green when unmolded. For whatever reason, the color fades to tan during the cure stage. :confused:
That experience is consistent among soapers who make Aleppo.

That is great to know thanks Zany!

Back