Green color in Oatmilk soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ursula

Reaction score
Hi,

I've run into something with my oatmilk soap that I haven't had happen before, and would love any insight. :)

I made a hot process soap using oatmilk and oats. I used 50% of the water amount for the lye. The other 50% I subbed with oatmilk, added to the pre-lye oils.

This is 24 hours after the soap was made, and there is a greenish tint to the center of the soap.

Is this a partial gel? Maybe I didn't cook the soap to through saponification?

Or something else...?

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

oatmilk.jpg

I have no idea, I'd guess partial gel, but WOW that's pretty. I do like how it looks.

I have this occur with some cp soaps (I don't Hp). I have found that it gradually goes away...sometimes within about 24 hours as it dries out. Although if the soap is cut again the center will still be discolored. Then if the soap is given a nice long cure and gets completely dried out, the soap will be the same all the way through. So, long story short, I think it is an issue with the outer edges exposed to air are drying out and it's just a matter of time for the inner soap to dry out as well.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

What kind of oils did you use?

I once had soap made with coconut milk turn green on me like that although it faded to tan after a week or so.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies!

I used sunflower oil, coconut oil, and shea butter.

Lanabanana you called it; it must be the drying process. Here is a photo with a bar from the first batch and a bar from a batch made yesterday. The first batch has turned tan after 48 hours :)

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1396397592.620994.jpg

Wow, nice comparison photo. Your soap is looking great. I'm glad it's behaving for you.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Back