Green Bees

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Walked outside yesterday and was a little shocked to see these on an old wooden bench.

tempImagelTfqan.jpg

How big were these little dudes? Did they appear to living in your bench? My pollinator enthusiast/beekeeper sister says that she thinks it's some sort of osmia mason be, perhaps a blue orchard mason bee. It's hard to say exactly what they are. There are quite a few different species that look similar to that. Congratulations on noticing them! So many people don't.

LOL They are, as you said, green bees aka "sweat bees".
I respectfully disagree. I don't see a striped abdomen on Catscankim's little guys. ;)

How big were these little dudes? Did they appear to living in your bench? My pollinator enthusiast/beekeeper sister says that she thinks it's some sort of osmia mason be, perhaps a blue orchard mason bee. It's hard to say exactly what they are. There are quite a few different species that look similar to that. Congratulations on noticing them! So many people don't.

I respectfully disagree. I don't see a striped abdomen on Catscankim's little guys. ;)
They look like regular sized bees i guess. Just green. Its an old bench with crates on it that i painted blue and white. The crates were originally on my porch but started to get a little yucky, so i stuck them outside.

They seem to be going in and out under the crates. I presume the brown thing is a hive. I might relocate the whole thing across the yard, behind the shed. I have a little bee house back there. It doesnt have any occupants, maybe these guys will like it lol. I like bees for the garden, just not where i walk in and out of the porch lol

If they are normal sized then it is highly likely that they are some type of mason bee. They tend to nest in holes in wood, so the brown is probably not their hive especially since they are solitary bees and do not live in a shared colony. Be aware that if you move it, they will likely not be able to find their homes. Masons are also very docile and unlikely to sting so if you are worried about that, that really isn't a problem. 🙂

Last edited:
I read that in Florida, green bees were “imported” from Mexico. Green orchard bees if i am remembering correctly without looking it up again.

Either way, they are docile bees and if they are the orchard bees, they are good pollinators. I will try to get better pictures

@MellonFriend you think that if i move the whole thing it would destroy their nest? I really dont want a beehive outside my door lol. But i am willing to let them have the bench.

The genus Agapostemon (literally "stamen loving") is a common group of Western Hemisphere sweat bees, most of which are known as metallic green sweat bees for their color. They are members of the family of bees known as Halictidae.

@MellonFriend you think that if i move the whole thing it would destroy their nest? I really dont want a beehive outside my door lol. But i am willing to let them have the bench.
I talked to my sister and she said that if you move it little by little (about a foot or two a day at most) they may be able to figure out that it's still their home. They recognize their homes mostly by location, so moving it all at once to a new location will make them have to start all over with their nests.

My sister also said to profusely thank you for thinking of them. So many people overlook them or exterminate them, and that is such a shame. These little dudes are actually better pollinators than honeybees, so even though they may not be native, they are still very beneficial to the ecosystem. đź‘Ť

It's an Abomination !!!
Who let the House Fly mate with the Honey Bee !!!!!!!!!!
:eek:

That's what it looks like to me and I have Honey Bees 🤣🤣

They do look like green sweat bees. My gramma had a ground nest a few years ago, we spent the summer watching them come and go.

I've raised blue mason bees for a couple years, they aren't near that pretty.
Either way, they are good pollinators and docile, try to protect their nesting area.

Back