Great EO blends for MANLY scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, @Zing! I blame my sister-in-law for sending me a sample pack of 20 "high-end" EO samples for Christmas. I was happy with my plain soap that I would occasionally scent with the more common EOs like ginger and bergamot. But nooooo - she had to go off and get me hooked on Frankincense! ...and here I was thinking she loved me. 🤣

I did find a dupe for their recipe and it is uber expensive to make, it has Frankincense, Blue Tansy, Rosewood EO's in it plus some others that are more favorably priced. I have been looking for a reasonably priced Frankincense, do you have a particular place that you like their Frankincense over others? I have not used it, so don't even know what it smells like, have read descriptions, which doesn't really help my nose discern the scent. Finding Blue Tansy is like finding hen's teeth unless you want a carrier oil along with it, which I don't! Any help would be appreciated!
There are different types of Frankincense. I use a "sacred" frankincense for non-soap items where it will not be damaged from heat and chemicals and a less expensive frankincense for making soap. For the past couple of years I have purchased all of my essential oils including my frankincense from the perfumery The Perfumery

Hey @Zing - Where do you generally purchase your EOs, please? I've read a lot of threads about EO suppliers, and even started one myself, but I'm still searching for a dependable supplier that sells larger 4oz, 8oz, and 16oz amounts of EOs (besides the typical Lavender, etc). I'm sure I'd cry if I ordered even 4oz of an EO only to find it wasn't pure/good quality.
I get mine here The Perfumery

I have been looking for Frankincense, do you have a particular place that you like their Frankincense over others? I have not used it, so don't know what it is supposed to smell like, have read descriptions, which doesn't really help my nose discern the scent. I know several countries have it but other than that I haven't found out which one is the best to purchase from the descriptions. Also, finding Blue Tansy is like finding hen's teeth unless you want a carrier oil along with it, which I don't! Any help knowing where I could find these without spending a zillion $ would be appreciated! Is there an alternative to Blue Tansy, I read somewhere there was a White Tansy and now I can't find it, but it didn't sound hopeful for a good match up. Again, thanks if anyone could lend a helping hand.

There are different types of Frankincense. I use a "sacred" frankincense for non-soap items where it will not be damaged from heat and chemicals and a less expensive frankincense for making soap. For the past couple of years I have purchased all of my essential oils including my frankincense from the perfumery The Perfumery
Thanks to The Park Bench post for the frankincense tip, I just found your reply to my request left yesterday. I am spending way too much time trying to find the EO's to make the dupe of Valor for my best friend's soap. Once I get something in my head it is hard to let it go.....which drives me crazy and everyone within a million miles also crazy!

I really love the smell of cedar and want to put it in a soap for a "manly" fragrance, but I really don't like the smell of cedarwood EO. I got it from Brambleberry, so I think it is fairly high quality, but it smells yucky to me. Is it just me, or has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it was my blend? I mixed it with orange and litsea EOs. I have a bunch left and I'm hesitant to use it again.

I really love the smell of cedar and want to put it in a soap for a "manly" fragrance, but I really don't like the smell of cedarwood EO. I got it from Brambleberry, so I think it is fairly high quality, but it smells yucky to me. Is it just me, or has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it was my blend? I mixed it with orange and litsea EOs. I have a bunch left and I'm hesitant to use it again.
I only like cedarwood in small amounts when blended with other things. Otherwise, it is just too strong and earthy for me. You might be able to save your current blend by adding more of the other EOs, or a different EO to supplement it.

I only like cedarwood in small amounts when blended with other things. Otherwise, it is just too strong and earthy for me. You might be able to save your current blend by adding more of the other EOs, or a different EO to supplement it.
The smell seems burnt to me. I have read that some people think it smells like cat pee. I'm not sure that's the scent I'm getting, but it is unpleasant.

It's not pleasant out of bottle but I have made some good blends. .9oz. Lime, .7 oz. Sage, .3 oz. Cedarwood & .4 oz. Patchouli. The other one is Cedarwood, Sage & Lemongrass. Forgot to write down the amounts so I will have to start from scratch next time. Both scents were popular with my customers.

BB cedarwood is not unpleasant for me to smell when it's all alone BUT I would not use it as the only EO because it is too earthy. I usually use it at 10% (except for my 50/50 bergamot/cedarwood).

Newbie here trying to get into cold process soap making. What type of EO's have a more masculine scent? What are your favorites or best sellers? I really like the bay rum scent but have no idea what EO's to blend.
For a manly scent' I prefer the Woodsy' Earthy Scents, Usually they are the bottom notes Like cedarwood, patchouly, frankincense, pine, myrrh, sandalwood, eucalyptus. Its nice to mix them w/ a middle or top notes like
citrus's, lavender, lemongrass, bergamot. for a balanced scent. FO are fun to mix w/ EO too. What I do I'll add a few drops at a time of this & that tell I love it. If you only want to work w/ FO then look for the ones that will mimic woodys EO mentioned above. BB, NG, NS Have some really nice FO's.

Thanks to The Park Bench post for the frankincense tip, I just found your reply to my request left yesterday. I am spending way too much time trying to find the EO's to make the dupe of Valor for my best friend's soap. Once I get something in my head it is hard to let it go.....which drives me crazy and everyone within a million miles also crazy!
You might check with HopewellOils.com. They are a non-MLM EO seller - still pricier than the bulk suppliers, but at least you can talk to them without being pressured. They are super nice and might be willing to give you some ranges for a Valor dupe.

Back to the OP's question about masculine scents, I'd suggest looking up some of the blends on EOCalc.com. For instance, their Gentleman's Lavender is a big favorite; it's pretty light on lavender and definitely not a girly scent - everyone loves it.

Fragrance or essential oil? Most of the manly men that use my soap really love a eucalyptus and lavender soap I make and ask for it regularly. But because essential oils are so expensive and don't really last in my CP soap like I like, I'm also looking for a good manly fragrance oil. I got a few ordered for my son to smell, some different sandalwoods and a NG Aqua di Gio dupe! So we will see. But I will definitely follow this post for more suggestions. Good Luck in your search!
Do you mix it 50/50 lavender/eucalyptus? I am eager to try this blend but am unsure of the mix.

Wow! Minimum order must be $500. A bit too rich for me. I will stick with New Directions Aromatics.

abbreviations I wish I knew lol 😂. This manly smell is what I’m going for especially nature smells that I love getting when hiking camping hunting or fishing. no one really makes those smells when I go to the farmers markets I hope I can bring it lol

For a manly scent' I prefer the Woodsy' Earthy Scents, Usually they are the bottom notes Like cedarwood, patchouly, frankincense, pine, myrrh, sandalwood, eucalyptus. Its nice to mix them w/ a middle or top notes like
citrus's, lavender, lemongrass, bergamot. for a balanced scent. FO are fun to mix w/ EO too. What I do I'll add a few drops at a time of this & that tell I love it. If you only want to work w/ FO then look for the ones that will mimic woodys EO mentioned above. BB, NG, NS Have some really nice FO's.
Couldn't find NS on the Glossary--which supplier is that?

Back