Great EO blends for MANLY scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fragrance or essential oil? Most of the manly men that use my soap really love a eucalyptus and lavender soap I make and ask for it regularly. But because essential oils are so expensive and don't really last in my CP soap like I like, I'm also looking for a good manly fragrance oil. I got a few ordered for my son to smell, some different sandalwoods and a NG Aqua di Gio dupe! So we will see. But I will definitely follow this post for more suggestions. Good Luck in your search!

Fragrance or essential oil? Most of the manly men that use my soap really love a eucalyptus and lavender soap I make and ask for it regularly. But because essential oils are so expensive and don't really last in my CP soap like I like, I'm also looking for a good manly fragrance oil. I got a few ordered for my son to smell, some different sandalwoods and a NG Aqua di Gio dupe! So we will see. But I will definitely follow this post for more suggestions. Good Luck in your search!
I will test out eucalyptus and lavender. Thank you violets!

I make a collaboration with the hubs called Grandude Soap (it’s what the gbabies call him.) It’s scented with frankincense, orange, rosemary, and lemon. Cedar is also a nice addition.

Cedarwood and bergamot 50/50.
I’ve got to get some bergamot! Does it have any color? My current citrus obsessions are lime and litsea, due to their clearness.

Dude
1 part frankincense EO
1 part myrrh EO
1 part patchouli EO
3 parts sandalwood FO

La Legion
1 part sandalwood FO
1 part vanilla FO
1 part Bergamot EO
1 part Vetiver EO
Thank you! I will for sure try these out!

I went down this path with EOs and then ultimately switched to NFOs. I can't even figure out what tie goes with my suit, so mixing and matching EOs to come up with fragrances was just not my thing. Here's a few that I tried and liked:

1 part Bergamot, 1 part Lavender, 3 parts Cedarwood
1 part Sandalwood, 1 part Patchouli
3 parts Eucalyptus, 1 part Peppermint

Good luck!

This is one I've been making for a few years (have tinkered with percentages) and it's always a huge hit with men (and women, too, but I call it Urban Woodsman. Note: I don't sell, this is based on friends/family reactions):

25% Dark Patchouli
23% Cedarwood (I use Virginian)
22% Amyris
20% Peppermint
10% Spearmint

This is one I've been making for a few years (have tinkered with percentages) and it's always a huge hit with men (and women, too, but I call it Urban Woodsman. Note: I don't sell, this is based on friends/family reactions):

25% Dark Patchouli
23% Cedarwood (I use Virginian)
22% Amyris
20% Peppermint
10% Spearmint
Thank you Howie! I will for sure try this out!

I make a collaboration with the hubs called Grandude Soap (it’s what the gbabies call him.) It’s scented with frankincense, orange, rosemary, and lemon. Cedar is also a nice addition.
Love this. I wanna be Grandude some day! *praying sons are using protection until they are economically stable to support themselves plus others*

Bergamot has a slight yellowish color but whatever mica I use determines the final color.

I want to thank you all for your great tips, as I have been wondering about the same thing. My son isn't too fond of scents so we haven't come up with too many yet. Although he likes Ginger Peach but, I know darn well he wouldn't wear it LOL!
Now another thought. Have any of you come across a company called Young Living? I think that is the name of it. My best friend loves their essential oils and suggested I get one called Valor. I went to their website before Christmas and about passed out when I looked at their prices. Is it my imagination or are they very expensive or am I just behind the times and also cheap? Her birthday is coming up in a few months and I wanted to make her some soap that matched this one in particular...have any of you ever smelled it? I have thought of getting one roll on for her and then trying to dupe it for her soap....am I crazy to try this?

My son isn't too fond of scents so we haven't come up with too many yet. Although he likes Ginger Peach but, I know darn well he wouldn't wear it LOL!
I just ordered 10 different FO (there was a sale and I was low!) and last night my son and I sat down and I had him smell them all! He picked the ones he liked and I put his name on them. He surprised me with some of his choices (Poison Crocus-Flowery Sweet)! Sandalwood Eucalyptus was his favorite (picked out just for him...) So there's that!

I want to thank you all for your great tips, as I have been wondering about the same thing. My son isn't too fond of scents so we haven't come up with too many yet. Although he likes Ginger Peach but, I know darn well he wouldn't wear it LOL!
Now another thought. Have any of you come across a company called Young Living? I think that is the name of it. My best friend loves their essential oils and suggested I get one called Valor. I went to their website before Christmas and about passed out when I looked at their prices. Is it my imagination or are they very expensive or am I just behind the times and also cheap? Her birthday is coming up in a few months and I wanted to make her some soap that matched this one in particular...have any of you ever smelled it? I have thought of getting one roll on for her and then trying to dupe it for her soap....am I crazy to try this?
they are a MLM company so their prices are high. Their products are good but not any better than some other essential oils for cheaper prices. I have had customers ask me to do several of their formulas. It is easily done. they are the number one reason that I opted to start re-bottling my essential oils into 10 mL bottles to sell to my customers at a reasonable price. people should not have to pay $100 for 10 mL of frankincense, that is insane!

Cedarwood and bergamot 50/50.
THAT IS MY FAVORITE COMBO!! Sorry for yelling LOL. Got a little excited there. A bunch of years ago I thought I came up with this all on my own. Well, I did, technically. It is really nice to put in a diffuser for bedtime. It knocks me out instantly. They are both sedative oils: good for insomnia. And they smell great together. I love this blend so much. I never not have cedar and bergamot handy.

they are a MLM company so their prices are high. Their products are good but not any better than some other essential oils for cheaper prices. I have had customers ask me to do several of their formulas. It is easily done. they are the number one reason that I opted to start re-bottling my essential oils into 10 mL bottles to sell to my customers at a reasonable price. people should not have to pay $100 for 10 mL of frankincense, that is insane!
I did find a dupe for their recipe and it is uber expensive to make, it has Frankincense, Blue Tansy, Rosewood EO's in it plus some others that are more favorably priced. I have been looking for a reasonably priced Frankincense, do you have a particular place that you like their Frankincense over others? I have not used it, so don't even know what it smells like, have read descriptions, which doesn't really help my nose discern the scent. Finding Blue Tansy is like finding hen's teeth unless you want a carrier oil along with it, which I don't! Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey @Zing - Where do you generally purchase your EOs, please? I've read a lot of threads about EO suppliers, and even started one myself, but I'm still searching for a dependable supplier that sells larger 4oz, 8oz, and 16oz amounts of EOs (besides the typical Lavender, etc). I'm sure I'd cry if I ordered even 4oz of an EO only to find it wasn't pure/good quality.

Latest posts

Back