Greasy cream

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Rattanjeet

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Messages
134
Reaction score
104
Location
India
Hi All,

I would like to make a cream which leaves a lil bit oil feel on the skin after applying.
Am trying to make one with 10 % of Butter and 15% of oils ( almond, rosehip) , by the way, this total 25% of oil and butter includes 6% of dimethicone. So the oil and butter percentage further reduced. But am still not able to achive that am looking for.
My question is tht @) what is the max percentage of oil and butter that I can use to make a cream.
B) dimethicone can or should be a part of that total percentage ( of oil and butter) .
C) am I using the right oil to make the cream heavier . ? As far as butter is concerned, am using refined shea butter
 

Quanta

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
469
Reaction score
756
Location
USA
Hi All,

I would like to make a cream which leaves a lil bit oil feel on the skin after applying.
Am trying to make one with 10 % of Butter and 15% of oils ( almond, rosehip) , by the way, this total 25% of oil and butter includes 6% of dimethicone. So the oil and butter percentage further reduced. But am still not able to achive that am looking for.
My question is tht @) what is the max percentage of oil and butter that I can use to make a cream.
B) dimethicone can or should be a part of that total percentage ( of oil and butter) .
C) am I using the right oil to make the cream heavier . ? As far as butter is concerned, am using refined shea butter
When you say you're not able to achieve what you're looking for, what do you mean exactly?

Off the top of my head, I'd say that you have way too much silicone. Try 3% and add the other 3% to the water amount, or add some lanolin like @Saponificarian suggested. Your silicone amount is part of the oil amount, because it requires an emulsifier. Same with lanolin.

For an oily/greasy feel, Shea butter is the butter I'd recommend. If it's still not oily enough, try swapping out some of your current oil amount for olive oil. I wouldn't put too much more oil/fat than you have now.
 

Rattanjeet

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Messages
134
Reaction score
104
Location
India
When you say you're not able to achieve what you're looking for, what do you mean exactly?

Off the top of my head, I'd say that you have way too much silicone. Try 3% and add the other 3% to the water amount, or add some lanolin like @Saponificarian suggested. Your silicone amount is part of the oil amount, because it requires an emulsifier. Same with lanolin.

For an oily/greasy feel, Shea butter is the butter I'd recommend. If it's still not oily enough, try swapping out some of your current oil amount for olive oil. I wouldn't put too much more oil/fat than you have now.
Thank you, will surely try
 

Rattanjeet

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Messages
134
Reaction score
104
Location
India
Throw in about 2.5% Lanolin. Greasiness can also be emulsifier dependent.
Thanks, I have ordered for Lanolin, let's see when it comes, Will try and let you know.

Would to be able to tell me what should be the maximum percentage of oil and butter one can use. As I mentioned, in this case ,I took it upto 25 percent.
 

Quanta

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
469
Reaction score
756
Location
USA
Would to be able to tell me what should be the maximum percentage of oil and butter one can use. As I mentioned, in this case ,I took it upto 25 percent.
The percentage of oil/butter you use depends entirely on how thick you want it to be, within the limitations of your emulsifier. With the right emulsifier, you can even make creams that are "water in oil" (more oil than water) as opposed to oil in water, which is what you're doing.

What emulsifier are you using? Have you looked up the manufacturer's info on it to see what the maximum safe amount is in a leave-on product?
 

Rattanjeet

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Messages
134
Reaction score
104
Location
India
The percentage of oil/butter you use depends entirely on how thick you want it to be, within the limitations of your emulsifier. With the right emulsifier, you can even make creams that are "water in oil" (more oil than water) as opposed to oil in water, which is what you're doing.

What emulsifier are you using? Have you looked up the manufacturer's info on it to see what the maximum safe amount is in a leave-on product?
Am using 6% emulsifying wax and 2% cetyl alcohol
 

Rattanjeet

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Messages
134
Reaction score
104
Location
India
The oils and butter that I am using is She butter, jojoba oil, almond oil. So my total butter and oil combination is 19% plus 6 percent dimethicone
 

Quanta

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
469
Reaction score
756
Location
USA
Am using 6% emulsifying wax and 2% cetyl alcohol
There are different things that can be called "emulsifying wax". Do you know which one you have? If you ordered it online, can you post a link to the page?
 

Rattanjeet

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Messages
134
Reaction score
104
Location
India
There are different things that can be called "emulsifying wax". Do you know which one you have? If you ordered it online, can you post a link to the page?
Hi Quanta,

I have achieved what I was looking for by changing the oils. not only have I increased the percentage but also the oils that I was using before.
I will still though share the link
"Emulsifying Wax NF – PurensoSelect" Emulsifying Wax NF
 

Quanta

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
469
Reaction score
756
Location
USA
Hi Quanta,

I have achieved what I was looking for by changing the oils. not only have I increased the percentage but also the oils that I was using before.
I will still though share the link
"Emulsifying Wax NF – PurensoSelect" Emulsifying Wax NF
I'm glad you were able to make it work. If you don't mind, what oils did you end up using?
 

Quanta

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
469
Reaction score
756
Location
USA
Sure, I added extra virgin olive oil and argan oil. I think the olive oil did it's magic..
Good. I'm glad the olive oil worked for you.

Quanta, just want to know if the emulsifying wax is right one? I would like to belive that it is right
I think you're fine. An oil phase of 25% seems to be typical, so as long as you're not too far outside of that, it should work. Just make sure the amount of emulsifying wax you use is a percentage of how much oil/butter you're using, meaning you increase the e-wax amount as you increase your oil phase.
 

Rattanjeet

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Messages
134
Reaction score
104
Location
India
Good. I'm glad the olive oil worked for you.


I think you're fine. An oil phase of 25% seems to be typical, so as long as you're not too far outside of that, it should work. Just make sure the amount of emulsifying wax you use is a percentage of how much oil/butter you're using, meaning you increase the e-wax amount as you increase your oil phase.
🙏
 
Top