Greasing mould - necessary or not?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
Greasing mould - necessary or not?

I have always greased my moulds with lard, like I would when baking a cake or something - a very thin layer. I'm wondering if this is really necessary. I guess it depends on the mould material. I'm especially interested in PVC pipe. I also have MDF (kind of like particle board but MUCH more dense and MUCH finer particle size - it-s perfectly flat) that is coated with an epoxy resin for a glass like finish.

It seems to me that the soap is so greasy to begin with and the fact that the lye is going to interact with whatever is used on the mould, I'm wondering if it is necessary.

It really isn't that big of a deal on my loaf moulds but my 20" pvc are a PITA to get all the way at the bottom.

What do you all do and what do you use to grease?

I use mostly wooden molds and always line them with freezer paper. I do have a couple of silicone molds that I used for a little while (didn't like them). Those I always greased with mineral oil. Just makes it easier to unmold without the soap sticking.

If I were going to use pvc, I'd probably cut it in half (lengthwise) so that I could grease the insides with mineral oil. I'd then use some sort of bands or glue hinges and clasps to the pipe to hold it together when pouring the batter in. Also seems like this (bands/hinge system) would make it easier to unmold.

Any saponifiable fat ... will saponify! So using lard on your mold is really not accomplishing anything useful. You really need to switch to a non-saponifiable fat such as mineral oil or vaseline (petroleum jelly). Or better yet, use freezer paper to line your molds.

When I've used a tube/pipe for forming soap, I've cut a length of freezer paper that will fit inside the tube with some overlap. Roll the paper into a cylinder, put inside the tube, expand the paper to fit snugly on the tube wall, and pour the soap into that. I've also seen tube molds that come apart like Patrick explains.

Last edited:
I use mostly wooden molds and always line them with freezer paper. I do have a couple of silicone molds that I used for a little while (didn't like them). Those I always greased with mineral oil. Just makes it easier to unmold without the soap sticking.

Ugh I wish I had thought to do that before I used the silicone loaf mold night before last

I use vaseline to grease my PCV pipe molds. Instead of one long piece, I have two shorter ones so I can fit my hand all the way in. I've tried lining it with freezer paper but it always comes out wrinkly so I'll stick with greasing mine.

I lined mine the same way DeeAnna described. It worked beautiful! I just pulled the paper and the soap slid out. None of that pushing with an object the same size business. Oh and my PVC is 12" and my batch was 16 oz oils. First time using the PVC I was nervous lol. I have to make another batch to try it again.

MDF needs to be lined with freezer paper.

IDK if your moulds come apart but if they do I would suggest sanding it with 120, 220, 400 grit sand paper to get it very smooth. After it is smooth, apply epoxy resin and it will be smooth as glass and ultra durable.

I have used lard to grease (which I've been told is pointless, lol) and the soap comes right off with a couple lbs of pressure and has a really nice and smooth texture (more-so than the freezer paper and parchment paper I've used).

Anyway, that is how it can be done if you are interested.

I grease mine with mineral oil. I think it is essential with my HPDE molds. Sometimes the soap is just GLUED to those things. My HPDE mold is the perfect size for a sheet of baking parchment to go in the bottom (mine divides into 4 logs), then I grease the sides of the mold, then I grease the dividers and insert them.

Silicone molds - not usually necessary. If I was doing something where I was specifically NOT going to gel, I would grease the silicone mold just to be safe.

I grease mine with mineral oil. I think it is essential with my HPDE molds. Sometimes the soap is just GLUED to those things. My HPDE mold is the perfect size for a sheet of baking parchment to go in the bottom (mine divides into 4 logs), then I grease the sides of the mold, then I grease the dividers and insert them.

Silicone molds - not usually necessary. If I was doing something where I was specifically NOT going to gel, I would grease the silicone mold just to be safe.

I do the same thing with mine. I only use it now for salt bars sometimes.

IDK if your moulds come apart but if they do I would suggest sanding it with 120, 220, 400 grit sand paper to get it very smooth. After it is smooth, apply epoxy resin and it will be smooth as glass and ultra durable.

I have used lard to grease (which I've been told is pointless, lol) and the soap comes right off with a couple lbs of pressure and has a really nice and smooth texture (more-so than the freezer paper and parchment paper I've used).

Anyway, that is how it can be done if you are interested.

You should post pics of your mold that you have done this to.

Back