Gravy Browning?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question. Is it possible to use gravy browning in CP soap? I've bought a Christmas Pudding fragrance and want to make a brown and creamy coloured swirled soap. I'm aware I can buy mica powder but my philosophy is to try to use things that are available around me. Any ideas?

Gravy powder sounds interesting; you might check the ingredient list to make sure there isn't anything that isn't good for making soap. I do think you might have an issue with the gummy starch creating gel blobs in the soap. You can read some threads on here where people had blob issues with rice flour, for instance - another gummy substance that can be used to thicken gravies. Maybe give it a try in a small batch?

I have a bunch of carob powder, purchased before I learned that I don't like carob. 🤮 It is very similar to using cocoa powder - makes quite a nice brown, and I believe the starch in it contributes to enhanced bubbles. It does require lots of mixing to make sure there are no spots.

Last edited:
Vanilla will turn your soap brown (slowly, the centre remains pale and you get a "rind" of brown, which travels through the soap as it's exposed to air).
Cocoa powder works very well.
All Christmas type ingredients 😅

Not sure about gravy browning powder - could you provide the ingredients from the gravy packet?

Vanilla will turn your soap brown (slowly, the centre remains pale and you get a "rind" of brown, which travels through the soap as it's exposed to air).
Cocoa powder works very well.
All Christmas type ingredients 😅

Not sure about gravy browning powder - could you provide the ingredients from the gravy packet?

Attachments

• 20221010_135000.jpg
    20221010_135000.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 0
Gravy powder sounds interesting; you might check the ingredient list to make sure there isn't anything that isn't good for making soap. I do think you might have an issue with the gummy starch creating gel blobs in the soap. You can read some threads on here where people had blob issues with rice flour, for instance - another gummy substance that can be used to thicken gravies. Maybe give it a try in a small batch?

I have a bunch of carob powder, purchased before I learned that I don't like carob. 🤮 It is very similar to using cocoa powder - makes quite a nice brown, and I believe the starch in it contributes to enhanced bubbles. It does require lots of mixing to make sure there are no spots.
Thanks. There's actually no starch in it, just ammonia caramel, glucose syrup and salt.

Ammonia?! I don’t believe you should mix ammonia with your lye solution; hopefully someone else withdraw more specific knowledge will comment.

Edit: I just saw your package label and then looked up “ammonia caramel.” It’s not clear to me whether any ammonia compounds remain in the product. Do you have cocoa powder or carob powder that you could use instead?

Last edited:
Ammonia?! I don’t believe you should mix ammonia with your lye solution; hopefully someone else withdraw more specific knowledge will comment.

Edit: I just saw your package label and then looked up “ammonia caramel.” It’s not clear to me whether any ammonia compounds remain in the product. Do you have cocoa powder or carob powder that you could use instead?
Thanks for this. Yes I do, but do they mix completely without any residual grittiness or smell?

Thanks for this. Yes I do, but do they mix completely without any residual grittiness or smell?
No smell carries through at all. You do need to premix them both very thoroughly, either in a bit of water or a bit of oil, to make sure there are no lumps. Some folks put the cocoa and water in a zip-top bag and smush it. I put it in a small cup and use my milk frother to beat the lumps out of it.

I've bought a Christmas Pudding fragrance and want to make a brown and creamy coloured swirled soap
I just remembered... I use Nestle's Chocolate Chips (contain cocoa butter) to make Coco Loco Lip Lube. They should melt easily dropped into warmed oils and stirred to fully incorporate. You could use just a few in the soap and make cookies with the leftovers! :D

No smell carries through at all. You do need to premix them both very thoroughly, either in a bit of water or a bit of oil, to make sure there are no lumps. Some folks put the cocoa and water in a zip-top bag and smush it. I put it in a small cup and use my milk frother to beat the lumps out of it.
That's great. Thanks so much - will try in my next batch.

Back