Grassfed Tallow vs grain fed?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bukawww

Reaction score
Is there a difference in SAP value? I want to encourage grass fed beef and realized I could further encourage it by using the tallow (and I like to cook with it ;) ).

I'd just like to know if I'm in for any surprises. I know there is a difference in fatty acids nutritionally but wondered how that would translate into soap.

TIA!

I have no idea, but I'm interested in the answer to this one too. Ours are fed potatoes and sudan grass. I wonder what affect that would have on the tallow...?

I know this is a little late, but it might be pertinent.....our Jersey beef has yellow fat, the greener the pasture the more yellow the fat. I have not had any extra after making hamburger to render, but I would think it renders out yellow, too. Kind of like chicken fat renders yellow. I don't know if it would be enough to alter colors when they are added.
Anna
PS- I know not all breeds of cows hold beta carotene in their fat the way Jersey's do.

Back