Grass

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
cover.jpg

Forked layers. The color palette is more blue than I wanted but it did had the transition and difference that I like.
My friend said it looks more seaweed than grass lol.
Scented with Cucumber Splash from NG and some lemongrass EO.

Clicked on here with a totally different expectation of 'grass' 😉
I have never seen this technique and love it! Do you pour at thick trace? Do you pour one layer and then use a fork? Or part of the next layer and use a fork into the lower layer? So curious.
Yours is beautiful and I love the colors.

It looks like you used a fork, since you said forked layers. Did you pour at thick trace or did you let each layer set up a bit & then use a hair lifter or an actual fork (plastic, I hope) then pour and wait for the next to set up and so on? There are no bubbles that I can see, so I'm thinking each subsequent layer had to be fluid enough when poured to prevent bubbles in the little valleys, but firm enough when forked, that the fingers were able to hold position.

I've seen similar results where a fluid batter was separated out into colors.

Just before pouring color #1, stir in an accelerating FO. Let it set up, then make the design with scraper tool of choice. Repeat this process with remaining layers.

Having said all that, this particular soap is REALLY cool - excellent work!

Clicked on here with a totally different expectation of 'grass' 😉
I have never seen this technique and love it! Do you pour at thick trace? Do you pour one layer and then use a fork? Or part of the next layer and use a fork into the lower layer? So curious.
Yours is beautiful and I love the colors.
It looks like you used a fork, since you said forked layers. Did you pour at thick trace or did you let each layer set up a bit & then use a hair lifter or an actual fork (plastic, I hope) then pour and wait for the next to set up and so on? There are no bubbles that I can see, so I'm thinking each subsequent layer had to be fluid enough when poured to prevent bubbles in the little valleys, but firm enough when forked, that the fingers were able to hold position.
I've seen similar results where a fluid batter was separated out into colors.

Just before pouring color #1, stir in an accelerating FO. Let it set up, then make the design with scraper tool of choice. Repeat this process with remaining layers.

Having said all that, this particular soap is REALLY cool - excellent work!
I divided my batch of oils and lye in 4 parts. Mix up each part one by one, pour at thin trace (my first later is a medium to heavy trace and has many bubbles), let it sit for about 3-5 min, then scrap out the texture using a plastic fork (don't have metal ones that are big enough lol).
Each part is about 150g oils so I used a frother to mix it instead of SB. The FO is not accelerating. I'd love to do one batch and just divide into colors but I don't trust myself to move fast enough lol

Back