grapeseed oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoSoapy

Reaction score
I have grapeseed oil (a full bottle) and want to use it

but I usually like making mostly OO soap (with a little CO) does anyone know the properties of grapeseed?

if i use it with mostly oo will my soap be too soft?

or actually does anyone have a good recipe using these oils:

grapeseed
Olive Oil
Crisco (old)
Coconut Oil

Thank you for reading!

I've never used grapeseed oil but I do know it doesn't help with hardness but it's a very conditioning oil. It supposedly doesn't help with increasing bubbles. I don't believe it has a very long shelf life so I wouldn't recommend using a high percentage in a batch maybe only 5% or so. But remember I'm not an expert at soapmaking. It might be fine in soap.

I always wanted to try it in a lotion since I know it's a light, astringent oil and is recommended for acneic skin. Do you make anything else besides soap? You could use it in a lotion or try it in bath melts or a bath oil.

Hi Hazel.
Thanks for replying!
No I only make soap!

and the only reason i have this much grapeseed oil is because I found it deeply discounted and didn't want to pass it up.

I think you're right. I will keep it to around 5% or so!

doesn't sound like it's very good for soap at all, sigh.....

thanks again :wink:

What kind of percentage do you normally use for coconut oil? You might consider playing around with upping it a little to offset the softness of grapeseed. I forgot to mention. Olive is eventually going to get rock hard so I don't think it will matter if you only use 5% grapeseed with it.

I posted a recipe a long time ago which was Crisco, olive and coconut. I'll go find it and then post it here. It could give a starting point for developing a recipe.

eta: Wow! That was easy to find. :lol:

30% Olive oil
30% Coconut oil
30% Crisco new w/ palm
10% Castor oil

Hardness 36
Cleansing 20
Conditioning 60
Bubbly 29
Creamy 25

Maybe you could split the difference between grapeseed and castor. I have to warn you this is a soft bar but I like extra conditioning. You could add sodium lactate to help with hardness.

Have you consdiered making a salt bar? 95% CO/5% grapeseed

Have you consdiered making a salt bar? 95% CO/5% grapeseed

I haven't considered it yet but I'm open to ideas. Also thanks for the recipe, I think I'll give it a try! :)

You're welcome but I don't feel I've really helped you. Maybe someone else will be able to help. Sometimes you have to be patient about getting an answer.

Please let me know how the batch turns out if you decided to try it.

YES!

I just ran your recipe through the soapcalc (adding in the grapeseed oil) to get the amounts in grams

and it came to just what I was looking for, at least I think it did!

I did go ahead and bump up the grapeseed a lil bit to 10% just to see what would happen and I think I'll be ok with that much

oh and I also had to change the crisco new w/palm to the crisco old because I don't have any of the new

anyway here are the amounts for my new recipe:

30% CO
30% Crisco Old
30% OO
10% Grapeseed oil

Hardness 38
Cleansing 20
Conditioning 57
Bubbly 20
Creamy 18
Iodine 70
INS 150

advice, do those amounts look ok to you?

thaks

Looks good to me. I'd make it. :D

You might already have this in mind but you might want to use a lower superfat. I generally use 6%-7% but on this one I'd probably go with 5% and hope the grapeseed would be completely saponified. However, this is just my opinion.

I really want to know how this turns out. If you forget to let me know, I may have to pester you. :lol:

I think you're right, i used 5% for the superfat too!

I'll post some pics too :)

Play around on soap calc. See how high you can push the grapeseed which keeping the linoleic/linolenic profile at no more than 15. That will minimize your chance of DOS. Then soap it and see what you think.

I just wanted to let you know, I have really enjoyed this recipe. I think this is actually one of my favorite recipes I've used in a long time. I used the hot processed method and I love the way it makes my skin feel!

I used it to shave my legs a few times and I never had any need for lotion after shaving! :D

moisturizing!

HA HA! Coming Soon............

(I have to figure out how to download them!) :)

This might help you if you want to post them by using the ImageShack box. On the “Post Reply” section and underneath the text box, you’ll see the words “Download ImageShack Toolbar”. Underneath this phrase is a small rectangular box which has a browse button to the right of it. Click on browse button and search through your pictures.

Select the picture you want and the info for it will appear in the small rectangular box. Click "host it" and it will open the picture on ImageShack. Underneath the “Share your image” on the left hand side, you’ll see the links to copy for posting your picture.

I like to copy and paste the “Forum Code” link.

Tip: I’ve found my pictures post better if I resize them first to approximately 400 x 300 or 45 KB.

I sign into ImageShack before starting to post a picture so I can delete the picture later if I want. You can’t delete pictures from ImageShack if you add the picture without signing onto the site.

HTH

Here is a blurry pic of soap I made using this recipe. It's scented with salty sailor f/o from daystar

I love this soap!

also, thanks for giving me directions on uploading the pictures!

Hi Hazel.
doesn't sound like it's very good for soap at all, sigh.....
GSO does have some beneficial properties, namely being high in Linoleic fatty acids and conditioning properties. I found a huge bottle for less than $6 at the Neighborhood Walmart Grocery Store this past weekend and I grabbed it up. I use it alot in my conditioning bars simply because it does absorb into skin easily and leaves no greasy feel at all. It does have a high Iodine content which is why I keep the usage % low (5% or less).

I would think that using it for a specialty bar, as I do, is a great compromise but that is just me.

How do you determine hardness, cleansing, conditioning, bubbly, creamy, INS? And what is INS?
Thanks.

Back