Granddaughter Made Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My granddaughter (15) wanted to make soap for her teachers for Christmas. Here are the results, even with the extra stick blending, they came out very well. I just told her the air pockets add to the design appeal. In addition to the soap, she's going to write a little note about soap that applies to the subject: science-the chemistry of saponification, history-the history of soap, art-description of design and scent choices, math-sap table for the oils she used, etc.
Anyway, what can I say, I'm a proud grandma.
1. Orange Spice (orange & clove eo)
2. Winter Holiday (fir needle, orange, & clove eo)
3. Apple Cider (apple jack peel fo)
20211122_125817.jpg
20211122_131316.jpg
20211122_131751.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun! I'll be making soap with my 14 year old niece. Any words of advice?
She is artsy, so it was important to her to pick out the design and scent. I tried to steer her to simple, but as you can see that wasn't totally the case.
I masterbatch my lye (50/50), and measured out that myself, as I wasn't ready for her to handle that. She did add the masterbatched lye to the additional liquid needed. Also I masterbatched the oils ahead of time, then warmed them up a little when she was getting ready for soaping. She weighed out the amount she needed for each batch. I showed her the soap calculator and talked her through the steps. She really liked using the stick blender a little too much, so that's why it went to thick trace so quickly and we ended up with air pockets in the finished product. The last soap picture above was an In-the-pot swirl and she has decided that one is her favourite. I have to say, the way it came out reminds me of marble.
Each young person is of course different, so this may not be helpful.
Have fun with your neice!

Grand work, ladies! Beautiful and isn't she the ambitious one? It comes with the age and infinite energy, I think.

I love making soap with my granddaughter. The first gift soaps she made for her school counselors (she worked in the office at the time) were felted soaps. That project was so much fun. Over the years we did various other projects, but the design of the Yellow Submarine soap paled the rest of our projects. She is also an artist. I think we started making soap together when she was 15. She even participated in a soap making conference with me in 2019 just before the pandemic hit and ended all face-to-face conferences for awhile.

Latest posts

Back