grand canyon in my freezer!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelda Rose

Reaction score
How can I stop the top from splitting wide open on my 2lb silicon mold with 100% coconut oil CP in it. Good grief!! Took it out of the freeezer after an hour and it started to heat back up! I patched the top and it will pass but how can I prevent it?? YIKES!

Did you just make it and put it straight in the freezer? Can you do the fridge and surround it with ice cold items?
I've done the fridge with high honey soap and I put ice bags all around it or items like milk and such so it's got cold touching it all around.

I would just leave it in the freezer. After 4-5 hours maybe even longer then I would transfer it to the fridge. I make 100% CO soap and have never had a volcano (thank goodness) did you add anything else that may have cause it to heat up? Milk, sugars fo/eo etc.

I had a large crack like that once in castile soap I had in the fridge. I was told it was due to the outside cooling faster then the inside. I was also able to repair mine after a couple hours. It did end up with partial gel.
Coconut oil gets pretty hot when it saponifies. Maybe try soaping cooler or help it go through a complete gel.

I put in on a steak after I returned it. having the steak for lunch lol, thawed it
right out..

I would just leave it in the freezer. After 4-5 hours maybe even longer then I would transfer it to the fridge. I make 100% CO soap and have never had a volcano (thank goodness) did you add anything else that may have cause it to heat up? Milk, sugars fo/eo etc.

no just CO/ I love this soap but not all over the freezer!!

I soaped at 120 because I swirled. If I have only a simple 1 color swirl how low can it go?

The lower the temp, the slower the trace so soaping cooler will give you more time. I've made soap with room temp lye and oils which can be as low as 65* in the winter.
Do you use a wooden mold? If you do, it helps to put it in the freezer for a couple hours before the pour.

I might have to learn try room temp and see how it goes. I'm at it again today... My molds are silicon and I have them in the freezer before molding. I think wood mold would hold the cold better but mine are too big for the freezer. lol Thanks for the help!!

Back